EVER WATCHED A FLUTTERING SPARROW OR A DARTING SWALLOW?



I have recently read a couple of blogs where the blogger responded to a negative comment from a reader. I wanted to write just a few words about this and hopefully be of encouragement and help to someone. Not that I have all the answers by any means but I know that God does and I hope that in my almost 65 years of living and my 58 years of following Christ, that He has taught me some things that I can share with other believers.



First of all, we must examine what our true beliefs about the Bible are. Do we believe all that it says all of the time? Do we believe part of what it says all of the time? All of what it says part of the time?



I have a friend who took a magic marker and blacked out the parts in her Bible where the scripture referred to a wife's submission to her husband. In her defense, she was a young Christian and I don't think she realized the enormity of what she had done. (In the book of Revelation, it warms about adding to or taking away from God's Word) But because of the struggle most of us have with submitting to another human being, this had a touch of humor to it. I have since moved away from the state she lives in and don't know if her actions still so readily speak of her disdain of those sections of God's Word. I do know that her heart was towards the Lord and I am sure He will teach her what He wants her to know in His perfect timing.



I am also reminded of what scripture says about different kinds of trials in James 1:2-4.

2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.



1 Peter 4:12-15

12 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. 13 But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed. 14 If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.



Jesus said: "In this world you will have trouble, but I have overcome the world."



Let me encourage you to read the whole context of these scriptures--it is hard to get the full meaning when we remove a scripture from the text surrounding it.



Some trials we bring on ourselves, but I am specifically referring to the trials we suffer from the hands of others who want to hurt us and persecute us because of our beliefs in Christ.



In the light of these scriptures, I must conclude that if I am walking with God daily and depending fully upon him, I should not be discouraged, disheartened, even disappointed when I am attacked because of my love for God, my Christianity. Instead, I should know, that even in this, God is using every circumstance to draw me closer to Himself, to grow and mature me, to make me complete-- lacking nothing.



So, fellow bloggers with a true heart for God, please don't be alarmed and upset at those who would come at you with harsh and untrue words, with poisonous arrows meant to harm you.



If you are a blogger who has been compelled to respond to an unkind word, please don't bother unless God gives you specific instructions to confront it head on. Most of the time, I think it is wiser to let it go, to "cover a multitude of sins with love."



And a verse that has meant the world to me over the years is this:



Prov 26:2

2 Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest.



Think about it for a moment--if you have ever watched a fluttering sparrow, it never lights for more than a fraction of a second at a time--so the undeserved curse!



Dianne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Oh the Glory of Your Presence

Tulips, Followers, Ice etc.