Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sacred Sunday-Speaking of Shadows

cross



cross

cross

cross

cross

In the last post I wrote about embracing the shadows of our lives, knowing that God promised us He would bring good from them.

"And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. Romans 8:28 NLT"

Eternal good vs. earthly good--that might be a hard call for us but not for God. His actions are always for eternal good because He always has been and always will be. Hard to wrap our finite minds around but it doesn't make it any less true.
The one shadow I truly want to embrace is that of the cross--knowing it is my only security, my only hiding place, my only fortress, my only shield.
"You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance." Psalm 32:77
I can hear Corrie tenBoom quoting that psalm over and over in her mind as she labored in concentrations camps while experiencing the death of three family members, nakedness, peril, hunger, torture, and brutality unlike any most of us have ever seen.
Because of her story, God has brought myriads to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. She was a shining example of the scripture above.

Photo: The cross over the baptisty in my grandmother's church. The sanctuary burned last year and last Sunday we attended the dedication of the new sanctuary. She was the first one who ever took me to church.