Friday, November 6, 2009

make ahead crock pot mashed potatoes

For more holiday recipes, be sure to visit Kelly at www.kellyskornerblog.com. Sorry, I have a new computer and I couldn't make the hyperlink work.

I have made these the last few holidays a couple of days ahead and it is a life-saver. I put them in the crock pot vessel with the lid and refrigerate.

5 lbs. potatoes

1 pkg cream cheese

1 cup sour cream

1 tsp. salt or to your taste

1/2 teaspoon pepper--if the kids won't eat it because of the dark spots, you can use white pepper

2 tsp. onion powder

2 egg whites beaten

butter to your liking--from 1 to several tablespoons


Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling water until tender. Cool potatoes and peel. Use mixer to blend potatoes, cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper and egg whites. Place in crock pot and refrigerate. I remove them about 4 or 5 hours before dinner is served, dot the top generously with butter and cook them on low for several hours. Stir every 30 minutes or so. They will be a little thick at this point but I add just a little half and half, whole or 2% milk until I get them the consistency that I like.

If you have a large gathering, you might want to double the recipe.

I NEVER have any of these left. People eat them for dessert!