Wednesday, January 20, 2010

i don't remember growing older

Photobucket

Happy birthday, Kendall. Wow! Where have the years gone? When I put the Sunrise, Sunset song on the other day I didn't realize how well it would go along with today's post. I think the song goes something like this.

Is this the little girl I carried?
Is this the little boy at play?
I don't remember growing older, when did they?

Kendall is 17 today. The picture above is my favorite photograph that I have ever taken of him. It was about three years ago at the Old Mill in North Little Rock, AR. The Old Mill was featured in the movie, GONE WITH THE WIND. The video below was taken last night. Kendall is # 11.

Kendall 2010MG from Elizabeth Dianne on Vimeo.


One of our favorite stories about Kendall goes like this.

When Kendall was about 3 or 4 years old, both of his parents were working at the same school (and Kendall was in pre-school there) but left at different times and drove different cars. Kendall was a sleepy head and it was very hard for him to wake up in the mornings. Also, he was pretty lanky at this point in time so he could lay down on the bed and with a little cover on him, you could not tell he was there.

Kendall got up, got dressed and ate breakfast but somehow made his way back to the bedroom.

Kim, my DIL left for work first and made sure that she told my son to be sure and bring Kendall. Kailey went on with Kim.

Jeff gets up and gets ready for school--the house is quiet, he walks through the house, peeks in Kendall's bedroom and leaves for work.

At about 10:00a.m., Jeff and Kim make contact by phone at school and Kim asked Jeff if he got Kendall in class okay or something like that. Jeff thought he had come on to school with Kim and thought Kim was kidding him. When they both finally discovered that they had left this little lamb at home by himself, Jeff broke every speed law in the books to drive the distance (across the city of Tulsa--takes 20 minutes or so) to get to their home.

Jeff runs in the house, breathless with anxiety, and Kendall is sitting there watching t.v. When they asked him what he did when he woke up and found that he was alone, he said, "I cwied for a little while, and then I watched cahtoons."

Praise God that the little ones know more about technology than I did at that age. (was there any techology then?--well, I certainly didn't have a t.v. LOL)