Thursday, January 28, 2010

the bic building

When our youngest son was about five or six years old, there was a building he referred to as "the giant typewriter." It was the main building at the Ford Glass Plant in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Here is a link with a picture but it is not the best angle. The big roller on top is what made it resemble a typewriter so much.

Every Sunday on the way to church, we not only would play "Beaver, Cleaver," (remember the Volkswagon Beetle game--orange ones were worth more points--of course I was always pulling for my sons to beat their daddy but invariably he would see an orange one parked in a very obscure place behind a building that you could barely see--he is an expert at spotting things you can barely see when he is driving--it has made for a very interesting lifetime on the road) but would have fun discussing the architecture of the building and how much it resembled Meemaw's typewriter. Wish I had my own picture of it but forgot to take one the last time I was there.

UPDATE: When I was browsing my picture files, I found these pictures of "the giant typewriter" that I had forgotten I took a couple of years ago.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I did remember to go by this building though. It is also in Tulsa. To me, it looks just like a Bic cigarette lighter. It is tall and sleek and narrow and has those little bumpy things on one edge. Yea, it really looks like a Bic lighter.

Photobucket

Photobucket
A picture of the "lighter" reflected in the windows of the adjacent building.

Photobucket
The little bumpy things on the side called balconies!

Photobucket

There were other buildings in Tulsa that reminded us of other things. One we called the "Flying Nun Building." It had concrete coverings to protect from the elements. They were big and pointy and wavy just like the hat of the Flying Nun.

Photobucket"

I would love to have a coffee table picture book with photographs of buildings around the world that resembled different items.

Photobucket

1 Cor 3:11-15
11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.
Deut 32:4
He is the Rock , his works are perfect,
and all his ways are just.
A faithful God who does no wrong,
upright and just is he.
Am I building on the solid rock ?


Lord, teach me to build eternal works upon You. Amen



P.S. The building is NOT really named "The Bic Building" and yes, the day was as gray and drab as it looks in the pictures. Maybe next time I'm there, it will be bright and sunny.