Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I failed him

Photobucket

Once upon a time I sponsored a child in Ethiopia through Compassion International. We exchanged letters. I truly cared what happened to him. Sintayehu was his name. Here is his picture and some letters from him. I have kept them all these years--these past 10 years. He is all grown up now. I hope someone picked up my slack and sponsored him. Someone more faithful than I.

Photobucket

I really don't remember how long I sponsored him--maybe a year, maybe two or three years--but I let my sponsorship lapse--I failed this child who depended upon me for school, clothes, food, support. The monthly payment was $25.00 and after some time, it went up to $28.00. I remember thinking, "I just can't afford this."

Why did I let the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches rob me of this blessing? Why, I can only speculate but my selfishness and sinfulness probably played a big part. I don't know what happened. Why did I quit caring as much? Why did I let this sponsorship lapse? Oh God, forgive me. Oh, Sintayehu, please forgive me.

Photobucket

A couple of days ago, I decided to try again after reading the Compassion Bloggers posts. Won't you please read just a little? These are incredible posts. They are so hauntingly devastating but uplifting at the same time.

They are on a trip to Kenya to see first hand what Compassion is doing around the world. And they are reporting it "no holes barred."

When I went to Compassion's page to choose a child to sponsor, I first thought that I would choose a young child, but when I got there and saw that there were 18 and 19 year olds still waiting for someone to sponsor them, I decided to choose an older teenaged boy. So won't you please pray for Mark. He will be our new sponsored child. So old yet so young.

I am providing several links for you today. I PROMISE you will not be sorry that you read these posts. They are incredible, if not professional, photojournalistic masterpieces.

The young man in the video below has had the same American sponsor for eleven years. Thank God for the faithful sponsors. To read about his small box of a home, his being orphaned, and his rich life though poor, please go to Shaun's blog. Shaun Groves is in the background (watch his face as this video progresses) and is a spokesman for Compassion. He answers questions about Compassion on his post today, March 9, 2010. You can access his blog here.





FYI: It now costs $38 a month to sponsor a child. It has increased less than one dollar per year since I sponsored Sintayehu. I am not a spokesperson for Compassion International, just have these children on my heart today.

Today I join with others at Chatting at the Sky to unwrap the gift of today. So, yes, today I unwrapped some sorrow but also hopefully I am wrapping up some joy to send to Mark in Kenya. And I think the wrapping has, not a silver, but a golden lining because I know God will bless beyond measure for this simple act of serving in Jesus' Name. "In that ye have done it unto one of the least of these,"--

To read how others are celebrating this Tuesday, click here.

I am also linking to Kelly on Friday, March 12 for her Favorite Charities McLinky. You can access her blog here.