Thursday, July 8, 2010

100 years ago

Photobucket

This post is basically for posterity's sake and so that all my children and grandchildren will have access to these pictures and this information.

The little guy on the right end is my father, Boyd, who was born 100 years ago today. When we live in a family under one roof we tend to know our relatives' best and worst points. My father made many mistakes as a father and as a person. He also did many things right and living with him year after year, I saw the side of him that was witty, smart, compassionate, lively, fun-loving, literature and knowledge lover, poetry memorizer,-- the side of him that was what God wanted him to be all the time.

He let past mistakes, situations, poverty and World War II (among other things) devour at times the man God created him to be. So it is with a heavy heart in ways that I choose to honor him today but also with a heart of forgiveness towards him. I pray that someday on my 100th birthday anniversary someone will choose to be forgiving towards me for the many mistakes I have made also.

Photobucket

Daddy Boyd, as he was known to his grandchildren, died in 1997. He lived just beyond his 87th birthday. He is on the back row, far left. In front of him is Aunt Jessie, Uncle Erlie on the arm of the chair and Aunt Eulah beside him.

Photobucket

The most blessed day of my dad's life--the day he wed my precious mother.

Photobucket

Johnny, me, and Daddy, Easter 1946.

Photobucket

Johnny, Daddy holding Mary Jane, Mother and me--late 1951.

Photobucket

My dad is the tall one in the middle of the back row. The back row from left is Uncle Casey, Aunt Eulah, Boyd, Aunt Jessie and Uncle Erlie. Front row is Aunt Hazel, Mama Jane, Papa, and Uncle Mac.

Photobucket

Back row from left: My brother Johnny, my mom, my sister, my dad, Uncle Casey, cousin Bobbie Jean (daughter of Aunt Hazel), Aunt Jessie and daughter Jeanette and Kay, Betty Lee (daughter of Uncle Erlie) and me.

Front row from left: Aunt Eulah, Aunt Hazel, Mama Jane, Uncle Mac, Papa, Uncle Erlie, Vernie and Ronnie. Oh, the stories this pictures holds--not time or energy enough to share them all--some wonderful -- some devastating!

Photobucket

This is my immediate family a month before I was married--this picture was taken at my brother Johnny's wedding--my sister, Mary Jane, my father, my brother, Johnny, my mom and me.

Photobucket

This picture was circa 1980.

Photobucket

Daddy Boyd with my grandson, Kendall, late 1994.

I miss you, Daddy!