Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Arkansas You Run Deep In Me

About forty-five minutes ago I said to myself in a somewhat pity party voice, "You've written every thing there is to be written, you've used every scripture, you've shown them every picture they could possibly be interested in--you have nothing to write about--nothing to say."

But not to be shut down by a little negativity, I went rummaging in one of the bedroom closets looking for some old pictures of a trip to Europe with which to bore you. I didn't find those but I found this  small pamphlet that I have been looking for for several years. When and why I took it out of the main bookcase, I don't know.

Photobucket

I remembered that there were some poems and prose in it that I liked--it is from my high school days--actually, I was fifteen years old when I bought this little book. I think it cost a quarter. I probably did without lunch one day to buy it. I think I'm the only one in my senior class of one hundred sixty odd people who bought it or still has it.  We are gearing up for our 50th high school reunion next year and at the last committee meeting I asked if anyone had it or remembered it.

I had been told a few years ago that Wayland Holyfield went to my high school. I did not know him in high school and have never met him.  If you've never heard of him, here is a link to Wikipedia. He is an award winning song writer. Among those who have recorded his songs are: George Strait, Reba McEntire, Barbara Mandrell, Kathy Mattea, Tammy Wynette, Conway Twitty, Charley Pride, Randy Travis, and The Judds.

Here in Arkansas, Holyfield is most famous for his song Arkansas You Run Deep In Me. He wrote it for the 1986 Arkansas Sesquicentennial celebration.  It was named one of Arkansas' official state songs in 1987.

Arkansas You Run Deep In Me


Written by Wayland Holyfield

October morning in the Ozark Mountains,
Hills ablazing like that sun in the sky.
I fell in love there and the fire's still burning
A flame that never will die.

Chorus

Oh, I may wander, but when I do
I will never be far from you.
You're in my blood and I know you'll always be.
Arkansas, you run deep in me.

Moonlight dancing on a delta levee,
To a band of frogs and whippoorwill
I lost my heart there one July evening
And it's still there, I can tell.

Repeat Chorus

Magnolia blooming, Mama smiling,
Mallards sailing on a December wind.
God bless the memories I keep recalling
Like an old familiar friend.

Repeat Chorus

And there's a river rambling through the fields and valleys,
Smooth and steady as she makes her way south,
A lot like the people whose name she carries.
She goes strong and she goes proud.


Chorus

Oh, I may wander, but when I do
I will never be far from you.
You're in my blood and I know you'll always be.
Arkansas, you run deep in me.


ANYWAY, imagine my surprise a few minutes ago when I came across this poem by Holyfield included in the little pamphlet I found.  The book is not copyrighted so I am going to take a chance on getting sued and post this poem for you.

Photobucket

Prison Walls
by Wayland Holyfield

Inside prison walls:
Deep shadows creeping along the ground;
A sinister mass reaching eagerly toward the sky;
Feel of moist, hard stone against cheek and hand;
Damp, musty smell of aging rock;
Haunting sound of wind pounding against an immovable object;
Dark, depressing gloom encircling the prison yard.

My favorite of his songs is this one:




Dianne
2010-the Year of Longings
He longs to dance with us for eternity.
I long to have Him only as my partner.



You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,  Psalm 30:11