Friday, October 22, 2010

Weekend Worship at Smyrna Church

Photobucket


Oh, my friend, I wish all of you reading this post could have gathered with me today at the old Smyrna Church in White County, Arkansas.  As I drove the winding backroads for an hour outside my city, my heart beat hard with anticipation of what I would find as I took off up a major highway, drove north on highway 31 for several miles, then northeast on highway 305 for a few more miles, and finally east a couple of miles on highway 36 until I came to Jaybird Lane.


Photobucket


I had "googled" historic churches of Arkansas--among the many quaint and beautiful structures to pop up in my monitor window was this lovely little wildwood sanctuary.


Photobucket


Thank goodness the Historical Society of White County is in the process of restoring this lovely old soul.


Photobucket


I wonder how many happy footsteps have skipped merrily up and down these steps?  Sunday celebrations of worship and gladness--weddings and baby dedications?


Photobucket


How many times have weary and worn trudged the aisle of grief here?


Photobucket


How many times have mid-week prayer warriors turned this old knob as the requests of saints and sinners alike turned their hearts towards the only hope of earth?


Photobucket


How many hours have young mothers sat on these pews with suckling young to their breasts?

And oh the joy of those filled with the milk of God's Word.


But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.  Psalm 131:2


Photobucket


How many times on muggy, sultry summer eves have children played hide and seek before or after church, peeking through the adjacent windows of the minute foyer at the other children running to hide? 


Photobucket


How many times has this old bell pealed out through the valley in the wildwood calling its faithful to gather once again in the Name that is above all Names, the Glory that is all Glorious, the Resplendent, the Majestic One?


Photobucket


And how many times has the sun risen once again



Photobucket
to shine on the just and the unjust, to bring warmth to the seed, nourishment to the soul, new hope to the weary?

"As long as the earth endures, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night will never cease." Genesis 8:22

Love,
Dianne
2010-the Year of Longings
He longs to shine His warmth on us.
I long to walk in the fullness of His light and warmth.

I am linking to Spiritual Sundays, an inspirational place to visit.