Thursday, March 3, 2011

A Mighty Horse

Prayer for March 3, 2011

No king is saved by the size of his army;
no warrior escapes by his great strength.
A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.

But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,
to deliver them from death
and keep them alive in famine. Psalm 33:16-19


I had a dream one night several years ago that I was riding a mighty horse--We were flying through the forest at an incredible speed, the horse's hooves barely landing on the ground before accelerating into mid air again--the feeling of exhileration was like being on some kind of an endorphine high and I felt as though the horse and I together were one and could accomplish anything. It is really hard to describe how I felt especially since I have always been uncomfortable around horses--not actually afraid of them, just not comfortable.

After a time the horse pulled up short and I knew something was terribly wrong. I jumped off to examine the horse and where the breast of the horse joins the legs, the horse was bleeding terribly and all the skin was torn back exposing bone and raw flesh.

I didn't have a clue as to the meaning of the dream until after waking I read the verse I have included at the bottom of this post. Was I or am I trusting in something besides God? Anything I trust in apart from Him will never bring true security. God is my refuge and my strength--a very present help in time of trouble.
This morning during my devotional time I read this verse again and was reminded of that dream. May we only place our trust in the One true and Living God!

Some trust in chariots and some in horses,but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.  Psalm 20:77

Good morning, Lord, here I am again asking, seeking, knocking for my descendants. 

Lord, if my children and those others for whom I am praying this morning, are trusting anything in their lives more than You, I pray that they will come to the realization through your Holy Spirit that anything or anyone, apart from You, is a vain hope for deliverance.

May they all learn a deep reverence and awe of You, and to trust totally in You and Your statutes.

I pray that this will become more and more real to me as well.  Show us what our "other gods" are, convict us and help us turn to You and Your mighty hand.

For all you are, for all you have blessed me with in this life, I give You humble and grateful thanks.  I love You, Lord, with all my heart.

There is one, especially for whom I am praying today.  Lord, You see the angst, the agony, the seeming hopelessness of what they are going through.  Where healing is needed, please restore, where Your calm and peace are needed, let Your sweet breath bring refreshing breezes, where understanding is needed, give acceptance of Your loving care and provision each day.

I ask in Jesus' Name.  Amen