Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sailing

Photobucket

'The fishermen know that the sea is dangerous and the storm terrible, but they have never found these dangers sufficient reason for remaining ashore." Vincent van Gogh

While visiting with a ninety-year old friend this past weekend, my husband asked her how she was feeling. She laughingly responded, "Well, I'm feeling like an old lady." To which he responded, "Yea, I've heard old age is not for sissies."

And to which I respond in thought, "Yea, life in general, even with all its beautiful moments, is really not for the faint of heart. If we live long enough, we will encounter tests, trials, adversities, and storms that will make us wonder if we truly are going to make it to shore.

I love the picture of the boat above, its sails emblazoned with one of my favorite scriptures. That is what we must cling to and believe with all of our hearts--God's plan for us includes a hope and a future and success. He doesn't promise smooth sailing, no rocks, no icebergs, no winds. In fact, Jesus tells us in John 16:33:

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."


So what is my 'open sea' today? What is yours? Mine is attempting to paint a portrait on a canvas designated for auction for the Arkansas Heart Ball, a gala created to raise money for research in the fight against heart disease. For some reason, I let this assignment petrify me. I am afraid to sail this open sea. There are too many risks to take--failure could be so imminent. I don't like to fail. I like to succeed.

While studying with Randall Hasson this past June, I made the statement, "I don't paint for fear of failure." Without missing a beat he said, "I paint because of fear of failure."

See the difference in our thinking. He let what could scare him to death, spur him on to success and I let it paralyze me, at least at times.

If you are wanting to set off into a new and different and open sea today, have at it--knowing the God of the Universe, the God who created the rolling seas, the winds-- from the soft whispers that flow gently through the pines to the forces that can boil waves of water into massive billows--wants to be in control of your life.


Photobucket


He wants to set your sails so that you get the most favorable winds possible. He wants to chart your course and take you to places only imagined in the minds of the most daring of fishermen. Give Him permission to take the helm, watch with anticipation and expectation, work as though everything depends on you and pray knowing everything truly depends on God. Be ready to haul in a loaded net!

And I pray that I am right behind you, or maybe I will even have the courage to set sail first.



Would you like to share your thoughts or your heart with me? 


My contact information is listed in the upper right of the sidebar. 


Please feel free to email me. I love hearing from you and cherish the friendships I have made through blogging.

© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted


a repost from past pages