Hope Rises Once More






Iprepare for the night ahead. The darkness here in the desert can be quite cold--so I cocoon myself in future warmth, layer after layer of protective covering anticipating the deepest, the most penetrating bone-cold winds sweeping across the vast spaces of my soul.

The night will be long,

I've served this shift before

and the moments, the minutes, the hours

pass as winter sap from the tree--

I look ever so often to the eastern horizon

Waiting for the faintest sparkle of the tourmaline sky,

I pace from one end of my post to the other,

Ever on the lookout for trouble, for any sign of the enemy.

At times my heart beats like the flap of the eagles wings

Once it's spotted prey--

The night brings not so familiar sounds--

Sounds I don't want to be familiar--

Core of my being raps hard and I look to

The eastern realm again.

And then the quiet,

The orchestral din of reverberated nothingness,

The clashing cymbal of thought upon anxious thought--

One more quick look--

Can it be the fringe of amber sun spilling

Over the horizon onto saffron sands?

It has come--Hope rises once more.
It has come--Hope rises once more.


I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
and in his word I put my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
more than watchmen wait for the morning,
more than watchmen wait for the morning.
Psalm 130:5-6

This has always been one of my favorite scriptures. I think it so interesting how the last line is repeated. In literature repetition is used for a purpose--to make a statement, to get a point across--David is voicing his soul's quest in terms the people of his day can understand. This morning as I was reading this passage, I wanted so much to know how much I should desire God and how much I should be willing to WAIT on Him. I tried to portray this in the writing above. I hope it speaks to you.

from past pages

Comments

Debbie said…
Beautifully written, and I love that verse as well. When my older daughter was born, someone made her a needlepoint with verse 5. I have loved it ever since.
Sandy said…
This is so very beautiful, Dianne. And just yesterday I was writing this favorite of Scriptures in one of my journals and meditating on the depth of its meaning, especially to me at this season in my life.
Love you,
Sandy
Anita Johnson said…
Your words are as beautiful as your paintings and photographs.
Dianne said…
Thank you ladies. I appreciate your comments more than you know.
Rosario said…
Beautiful post. My dearest Dianne, I'm blessed to hear my father's voice almost every other day now. Its bittersweet to me because, I'm so far away and not able to go see him in person. I pray that I will have the chance to see him, before he is taken away from this earth. He says he is ill, cancer in his liver. I don't find the words to say to him to come here. I just can't. Please pray for me. That God will guide me in what I should do. I remember my friend bringing her father from Texas, to live here his last months of life. To see her suffering, I don't think I could be able to do the same.
Dianne said…
Oh Rosario, I am so glad that you are getting to speak to him regularly but so sorrowful that there is so much sadness involved. Yes, "bittersweet" is the perfect term for what you are experiencing dear friend.

You, your family and your father are on my heart and in my prayers.

Thank you for your kind words.

Popular posts from this blog

EVER WATCHED A FLUTTERING SPARROW OR A DARTING SWALLOW?

To Try This Blog Thing Again or Not--That is the Question!

T.J. Maxx, Shopping Carts & Total Embarrassment