Friday, June 15, 2012

Weekend Worship at Seventh Day Adventist Church, Maryville, TN




On the way to North Carolina a couple of months ago, we had stopped in Maryville, TN to shop and take pictures.

We weren't on a huge deadline but we couldn't afford to stop at every place we saw that interested us.

We were just settling back to get some mileage under our belts, when I literally came up off my seat--Karen didn't slow down at all and this church was in full view though set off the road just a little ways to the left.

I almost didn't say anything (because I thought that they had to have seen it) and then I could stand it no longer--and I piped up and said in an incredulous voice, "Did you guys see that church back there?"

They kinda laughed and said that they hadn't. They laughed because we had made several stops that morning and really needed to get on down the road.

I said, "Y'all I think it is worth going back."

They kinda laughed again but Karen ever so sweetly pulled off the road, dutifully turned around and went back down the highway. We had probably gotten at least a half mile past it. Anyway, here is what we found--hope you enjoy!
































There's a church in the valley in the wildwood
No lovelier place in the dell
No spot is so dear to my childhood
As the little brown church in the dell


[bass] Oh, come, come, come, come

[all] Come to the church in the wildwood
Oh, come to the church in the dell
No spot is so dear to my childhood
As the little brown church in the dell



lyrics by Carter Family





© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted