Monday, February 11, 2013

Another Wonder of the World



To hear--another wonder of the world.

So much of what we hear is selective.  What do we choose to hear?

As I write down some of the beautiful and meaningful things I've heard in my lifetime, would you be thinking about yours?

I would love to read just one (your welcome to leave more) of what you have heard that is music to your ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--The crunch of the first ripe apple eaten off one of my grandmother's apple trees--

--The Amen corner of my little church when I was growing up--we had corners all over that little room!--

--Summertime sung by Leontyne Price--so it was on YouTube but it is one of the most incredible sounds I've ever heard in my life time.  I read that she received a 42 minute standing ovation one time.  I used to teach my students about that and have them stand up and applaud for one full minute.  Try it--you cannot believe how exhausting it is--talk about a cardio workout!

--Here is a link to it--

--The pounding waves of the Pacific, the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.  The soft lapping of the water as the tide receded--

--The click of the shutter when I knew I had captured the perfect shot--(a rare event)

--The swish of thousands of basketball nets--

--The voice of my blind grandmother telling me my Christmas baby doll was very pretty--after her sweet hands had followed every curve and contour of her face and hair--

--The first time I played a "chord" on the piano--

--The excitement in my mother's voice when we would wake up to a winter wonderland of snow--

--The sound of my college choir as I blended my "not so strong" voice with theirs--I couldn't believe we could make a sound that heavenly--

--and speaking of heavenly, the choir of Westminster Abbey, an all male choir--boys and men--

--The strains of the wedding march as my father walked me down the aisle to my future husband--

--I love you whispered gently in my ear--

--The understanding voice of a teacher who cared when I was scared to read aloud in front of the class--
--The soothing voice of my first Sunday School teacher who assured me that God loved me and sent Jesus to die for my sins--

--The cry of a newborn grandchild letting me know everything was okay--even if it was a bit delayed--

--The first time I heard Sandi Patty in person--at a medium-sized church in Tulsa several years before she became a household name--


--The first time each of my three sons called me ma-ma for the first time--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



This is a list that could go on and on but I will stop there.

And I would say that none of these could compare to what I hear from God but that wouldn't really be true because I believe they are

THE VOICE OF GOD

IN ALL HIS FULLNESS AND POWER,


IN ALL HIS MIGHT,


IN ALL HIS TENDERNESS,


IN HIS MAJESTY AND SPLENDOR,


IN ALL HIS GENTLENESS AND GRACE,


IN ALL HIS GLORY


I hear him in a million different ways

and I especially love it when He whispers personally to me

words such as these:



One morning during my devotional time I "heard" these words in my spirit-- 
"You are my servant.  I have chosen you and not rejected you. 
So do not fear, for I am with you, 
Do not be dismayed for I am your God. 
I will strengthen you and help you, 
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." 

Even though I love the physical gift of hearing, I believe those who are deaf hear as much as I do (maybe more because they learn to listen with the spirit) if they know God.
 Oh to hear all that He has to say to us.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.  
After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 
After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. 
And after the fire came a gentle whisper. 

From 1 Kings 19 




Let us listen for His gentle whispers today, no matter in what form they come.

I will be listening, what about you?





Turning another page with love,
Dianne

© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted