Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Faces



When I was very young--late teenager to early adulthood--I had a very specific idea of what I thought "beautiful" was--mainly amounting to a "Hollywood" version of beauty.

I don't know exactly what has caused the change but now I see beauty in a totally different way.  I never meet a person who I don't think is beautiful--truly beautiful--not just in their soul and spirit but their actual physical appearance.

The face above is beautiful to me and as I have been "on a kick" painting faces, I notice that I tend to make up faces that "society" would think are appealing or nice looking.

I think I know why I do this--they are easier to paint--any face that is balanced and in proportion, that doesn't have wrinkles or other "very distinguishing characteristics" is just easier to paint.

I really want to branch out now and try some faces that aren't "Hollywood" beautiful but striking just the same.

I'm hoping I will be able to do that because to capture their true beauty I will have to capture their soul and that is not an easy thing to do when painting.

When you look in the mirror what do you see?

Do you see the beautiful person that God created you to be?

If you are not at peace with God, it is likely that you will not see the true beauty He has endowed you with.  Even if you are beautiful to others, you will be prone to major on every minor flaw.

So, I am praying peace for all of us today, I pray that we will come to know Jesus in the power of His resurrection and the beauty of His holiness--only then will we recognize the exquisite loveliness not only in ourselves but in all those around us.




Worship the Lord in the splendor of his holiness;

    tremble before him, all the earth.

Psalm 96:9



© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted