Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Morning Has Broken



I am starting the new year with several different devotional plans--one of them is a 40 day journey with Dietrich Bonhoeffer.  This morning he challenged us to journal about how we spend our mornings and if we are satisfied with the way we spend them.




For many years I was faithful to morning devotionals but when retirement came and I "had more time"--I slipped--

There have been few days that I have not had some type of daily devotions but 
"having them at my leisure" has also carried with it a "not so urgent"aspect to my prayer life.




This year, twenty fourteen, is a brand new year and I want to go into it as I did some years ago when my alarm rang with an urgency--

when I KNEW that my prayers and devotional life needed to be in the early morning because
of exhaustion later in the day--

school teacher, wife, and mother of three sons--




This is not to undermine the importance of "praying without ceasing" all day everyday.

But for me, I need the spiritual discipline of early mornings prayer, Bible reading and meditation.



 And rising very early in the morning, while it was still dark, he departed and went out to a desolate place, and there he prayed.  Mark 1:35




In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;
    in the morning I lay my requests before you
    and wait expectantly.
Psalm 5:3