Monday, December 8, 2014

Examine My Longings


This morning as I was reading about the prodigal son I was struck with this:

--This story can be found in Luke 15:11-32--

Verse 16 says

And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.  (bolding mine)

Longing--really?--longing to be fed with the food reserved for the pigs?

What am I truly longing for this holiday season?

What is it that I have been thinking mainly about?

New furnishings?  New decor?  New car?  New jewelry?  Or maybe it's something much more simple and inexpensive but still not the best that I should be longing for.

When everything I need is right before me and I long for the things of this world?  Isaiah 55

Lord, examine my longings.  Help me to discard the ones that are not of you.

Change my perspective.

Help me know and cultivate the ones that have eternal value.

Lord, I want to long for a heart that is pure before You, to walk in your Holy Spirit so that the fruit of Your Spirit will be evident, to know and seek You with my whole heart.



All my longings lie open before you, Lord.  
Psalm 38:9a



© ALL ART, PHOTOGRAPHS AND TEXT PROPERTY OF ELIZABETH DIANNE UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, 2008-2014