No Beauty or Majesty













I have started a major canvas project for some friends of ours.  They have a new home and have a wall that I hope this will fit perfectly on.

It is based on Isaiah 53 from the Old Testament.

I have to remember that this is just the background--

that it will have several layers--

Trying to paint an awesome and beautiful canvas

about someone said to have "no beauty or majesty about them to

attract us to him"--

Is somewhat difficult--

While I want the canvas to have a regal and majestic look,

I want it also to reflect the ugly, the pain, 

the punishment, the despair, the rejection, 

the piercings, the wounds, 

the oppression, the afflictions, the judgments,

the crushing loneliness, 

But more than anthing I want it to reflect that

JESUS IS VICTOR!

______________________________


Isaiah 53

Who has believed our message

    and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?

He grew up before him like a tender shoot,

    and like a root out of dry ground.

He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,

    nothing in his appearance that we should desire him.

He was despised and rejected by mankind,

    a man of suffering, and familiar with pain.

Like one from whom people hide their faces

    he was despised, and we held him in low esteem.

Surely he took up our pain

    and bore our suffering,

yet we considered him punished by God,

    stricken by him, and afflicted.

But he was pierced for our transgressions,

    he was crushed for our iniquities;

the punishment that brought us peace was on him,

    and by his wounds we are healed.

We all, like sheep, have gone astray,

    each of us has turned to our own way;

and the Lord has laid on him

    the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and afflicted,

    yet he did not open his mouth;

he was led like a lamb to the slaughter,

    and as a sheep before its shearers is silent,

    so he did not open his mouth.

By oppression and judgment he was taken away.

    Yet who of his generation protested?

For he was cut off from the land of the living;

    for the transgression of my people he was punished.

He was assigned a grave with the wicked,

    and with the rich in his death,

though he had done no violence,

    nor was any deceit in his mouth.

10 
Yet it was the Lord’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer,

    and though the Lord makes[c] his life an offering for sin,

he will see his offspring and prolong his days,

    and the will of the Lord will prosper in his hand.

11 
After he has suffered,

    he will see the light of life and be satisfied;

by his knowledge my righteous servant will justify many,

    and he will bear their iniquities.

12 
Therefore I will give him a portion among the great,

    and he will divide the spoils with the strong,

because he poured out his life unto death,

    and was numbered with the transgressors.

For he bore the sin of many,

    and made intercession for the transgressors.





© all photographs, art and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted

Linking to







Comments

Mary C. Nasser said…
Gorgeous lettering and layers of rich, warm colors!
♥♥♥
Happy PPF!!
Mary
Mixed-Media Map Art
Faye said…
This is so beautiful. The background color is very dynamic. Did you paint the calligraphy letters?
Barb said…
That's going to look awesome on your friend's wall. I so admire your talent, Dianne. What delights me, my sweet friend is how you use your talent (it's always for the LORD). Not all of us have the same talent as you, but we do have some kind of talent, something we can use to bless and uplift others. It could be something as simple as a few well chosen words, words that make a man feel less lonely, cared for- words that offer HOPE.
Isaiah 53? This is something if read every day, could really help keep one spiritually centered- deeply rooted. Thank you for this beautiful post, for sharing your talent- and your sweet self too. Love you much. God bless.
Dianne said…
Yes, I am in the process of painting the letters and thank you for your kind comments.
Mary B said…
You amaze me my friend! Truly you do!! Not only with your gift of words, but with your gift of the brush. This is going to be lovely - I just know it! Hugs to you!
Spectacular lettering, I am amazed at how beautiful this piece is and you have only just begun. Happy PPF xox
Dianne said…
Thank you dear Barb--that is my desire--to use the gifts He has given me for His glory!
Dianne said…
Hey Mary,
I miss you. I read your posts this morning but did not have time to comment at the time.

I thrilled about your new "assignment" with Allume and enjoyed your post for them so much. You are stretching and growing.
Dianne said…
Corrine, thank you so very much. Happy PPF to you also. I so enjoy the people associated with this meme. Some of the nicest ever!
Anita Johnson said…
Beautiful, I hope you share the finished piece with us! I would just love to watch your work in progress...the background has such a rich color and texture to it...wow~!
that lettering is wonderful and this will be so special when it is done... nice to see a progress shot
Dianne said…
Thanks, Anita--that is my intention to show the progression--sure hope it works out but just remember.........I am slow. smile
Dianne said…
Thank you Tracey. Happy PPF to you!
zana said…
Wow, love the texture and lettering, the scripture is one of my favourites.
Sandy said…
You know I love this piece so much but this is the third time I've tried to comment on it! Maybe this one will go through. I love it so much because this is what my sweet mother used to talk about. She would weep and say she just could not understand how anyone could say that there was nothing about Jesus to make him desirable. She loved Him so much. Anyway, I look forward to seeing this completed and I know Mama would have loved it.
Love you friend~
Talk about a project. Such wonderful colors and the letters are lovely.
Thank you for sharing this fabulous art with us. Please come back soon with more of those lovely creations.
Abundant Blessings,
Carole Robb Bisson
Word Art Wednesday
Dianne said…
Thank you, Zana--I'm so glad you stopped by. I will be by to visit later in the week. This weekend is crazy for me.
Dianne said…
Sandy.........thank you for hanging in there and commenting--I think I understand how your mom felt--I remember the first time I ever read that verse--it was a shocker to me because no one had ever taught me that and I had seen all those beautiful pictures of Him which did not really depict Him right I guess. Love you, Sandy--
Dianne said…
Thanks Carole--I'll be back. Y'all are friendly group over at Word Art Wed. and I love linking there.
GORGEOUS, Dianne. Your art is such an inspiration and I'm blessed to have you share with us in our challenges. May God bless you as you create and share the art He lays on your heart to create. Thanks for taking the time to play along with us and bless us with your time and talents.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

Popular posts from this blog

EVER WATCHED A FLUTTERING SPARROW OR A DARTING SWALLOW?

To Try This Blog Thing Again or Not--That is the Question!

Oh the Glory of Your Presence