Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Through a Glass Darkly





In preparation for teaching class this week, I have been watching some YouTube videos of Corrie ten Boom.
Besides Jesus and the Word of God, her life, her testimony and her book The Hiding Place have influenced my life more than any other.  I am so grateful for the book and the movie by the same name.
I watched part of it today.  The part I will be showing in class tomorrow.
In one interview she said, (paraphrased)--"When was the last time you opened your Bible while you were praying and reminded God of a specific promise.  He loves to be reminded of his promises."
That speaks to me.  Speaks to me because that is how I pray most of the time.
I know if I pray God's Word over whatever the situation is, I am praying God's specific will and outcome for it.  I do not want my will because I know my ways and thoughts are not His ways.
Isaiah 55:11
Here are some of her most famous quotes.
____________________________________________
“You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It is not my ability, but my response to God’s ability, that counts.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What wings are to a bird, and sails to a ship, so is prayer to the soul."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Trying to do the Lord's work in your own strength is the most confusing, exhausting, and tedious of all work. But when you are filled with the Holy Spirit, then the ministry of Jesus just flows out of you.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Do you know what hurts so very much? It's love. Love is the strongest force in the world, and when it is blocked that means pain. There are two things we can do when this happens. We can kill that love so that it stops hurting. But then of course part of us dies, too. Or we can ask God to open up another route for that love to travel.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Worrying is carrying tomorrow's load with today's strength- carrying two days at once. It is moving into tomorrow ahead of time. Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, 
it empties today of its strength."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“There is no pit so deep, that God's love is not deeper still.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“There is no panic in Heaven! God has no problems, only plans.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“There are no 'if's' in God's world. And no placess that are safer than other places. The center of His will is our only safety - let us pray that we may always know it!” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Memories are the key not to the past, but to the future.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to an all-knowing God."


Corrie and her family looked through a glass darkly--the future was not to be seen while they were exercising great faith.

Only time would tell the incredible wonders that would come out of  their obedience to a Holy God.

Now we can all benefit from their story and see a little clearer the future that God longs to give all of us--

eternal life!