Tuesday, November 10, 2009

look at this hippo

Photobucket
I have set out several times in my lifetime to deliberately memorize scripture. I have failed miserably except for John 3:16 and a couple other scriptures.

I purposed in my heart many years ago to read God's Word daily. God has been gracious enough (except for certain very rough spots in my life) to allow achievement of that goal.

So for me the repeated reading of God's Word has implanted verses in my heart and memory that I cannot forget. The school teacher in me wants to give an example--kinda like if someone asks you to describe a giraffe, you will not describe a hippo. You have perhaps seen giraffes a few times plus many pictures of them and your mind has memorized the details of its particular look. You actually can't forget it even if you tried.

I know many in this community are younger and maybe you don't want to wait until you are older to have scripture locked in your heart and I don't blame you and admire you for that. I would encourage you to start out on a plan that suits you and work hard to follow through. Ann has many wonderful suggestions today and so do the other readers. And if I had it to do over, I would certainly try harder to follow their advice.

If, however, you find yourself unable to do that, please know that diligent reading and meditation on the scriptures for many years will lock them in your heart to stay.

And if we have diligently studied the scripture, then we can depend upon the Holy Spirit to bring to our minds exactly what we need at the moment we need it.

John 14:25-26

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. (bolding and italics are mine)

Here Jesus was talking about the fact that they would remember what he had told them with the help of the Comforter, the Holy Spirit. Since Jesus is no longer with us in bodily form, He left His Word in written form through inspiration of the Holy Spirit. He promised us that He would bring it to our remembrance.
The Bible also has much to say about meditation and study. Since memorization has been so hard for me, I depend upon meditation and study of God's Word and it has paid rich dividends--
So be encouraged to either memorize, read, study or meditate or hopefully a combination of all four. God's Word has been a lifeline for me--I would not want to live without it.

And even though I am an older reader, I think I will try again. One of the readers was memorizing Psalm 19. That is one of my favorites and the first part of it is already committed to memory from so many readings of it over the years, and it is rather short (smile) so I think I will tackle that. I will let you know next week how successful I've been with this ole brain.





photograph taken several years go on a trip to the zoo with Kendall, Katelyn, Caroline, Kennedy, Traci and Michael
___________________________________________________________