Wednesday, November 25, 2009

memorization and Thanksgiving Psalm

First of all I want to show you my memorization progress for the week. I am in the process of memorizing the 10th chapter of Romans. I really have to swallow my pride to include this video of me but I want so much for you to be inspired to either start memorizing or to memorize more than you ever have before. I just started memorizing week before last. If I can do it, I know that you can also.

My goal is to memorize a chapter a week. I know that there will be many weeks that I will not be able to accomplish that. This is one of them. It is a very busy week for us with our son and his wife from Oklahoma here visiting but it is also a very precious time--one that I would not trade for anything.

Anyway, I look horrible in the video--did not sleep last night--was so excited that my kids were here but I think it is even a form of pride that I am apologizing for the way I look. So what you see is what you get today. I hope that you will concentrate on the scripture. It really is an awesome passage.

I show at the end of the video how I am doing this. It is using the first letter of each word. After you do this enough times, you finally have the whole chapter memorized. It is an incredible way of memorizing. This is the website for transposing the scripture from words to first letter words.

This is the website address. However, I found it worked best for me to write the first letter in my own handwriting.

You will need to go to the sidebar and pause the music--sorry.

http://www.productivity501.com/how-to-memorize-verbatim-text/294/

Romans10 from Dianne Hogue on Vimeo.



And here is my Psalm of thanksgiving--a little tongue in cheek.

Gen 1:1 - Ps 85:1

How lovely are my grandchildren, their faces are radiant with love!

2 My soul yearns, even faints,for a hug from any one or all of them; my heart and my flesh cry out for their presence around my table.

3 Even the older ones still thrill my heart, and the younger ones, I love them so much, but may their parents take complete responsibility for their caretaking.

4 Blessed are those who dwell in my house; even if it is only for a few days.

5 Blessed are those whose strength helps with the cooking, the gift wrapping and the Christmas decorating, who have set their hearts on T.V. watching, texting, or Facebooking but instead give of their talents to their grandparents when their arms are only slightly twisted.

6 As they pass through my galley kitchen, they grab whatever is in sight; please help me to remember to hide the desserts for Thanksgiving Day.

7 They go from treat to treat,till each vanishes from my sight.

8 Do not be downcast oh my soul even though there may not be any food left for Thursday.

9 Look upon my hiding place with favor; Please do not reveal its hidden riches.

10 Better is one day in my kitchen than a thousand elsewhere; They would rather be a doorkeeper at the entry to my pantry than eat at McDonald's any day.

11 For my family is a source of strength and joy; on me they bestow humor, and long ago stories that they've never admitted before; I find for the first time that my three precious angels were not blameless.

12 So much thrills my heart during this season--the scurrying, the shopping, the decorating, the LIGHT--but none so much as the tailLIGHTS of my son's car as they drive out of town.

Okay, precious kids, that is a joke--that last verse--you can stay forever if you like--and by the way, I do not take credit for the thought in that verse. I think I read something similar in an Erma Bombeck column many years ago.




Posted in community with the other sojourners at:

holy experience