Saturday, November 14, 2009

Precious Moments In A Basketball Gym

Several years ago my husband and I went to the home of Precious Moments in Carthage, Missouri. If you've never been there and get a chance to go, it is well worth your time. UPDATE: I just did some research to try to get you a link to it but I am not sure it is still open. Be sure and check before you head that way.

When we walked in the chapel and I looked up at the Sistine-like ceiling, tears started to roll down my cheeks. Among other things, the artist had depicted the six days of creation around the top of the chapel. He had used basketballs to represent the earth and planets.

The reason for the tears--basketball has been so important in our family and I felt like my incredibly strong feelings for something so TRIVIAL as basketball (ahem) had been validated by God-- and the knots rose up in my throat.

My dad was a basketball coach--he was the principal and coached all four teams--junior high girls and boys and senior high girls and boys. Can you imagine how much time I spent in a gym as a young child?

My brother played basketball all through junior high and high school. Can you imagine how much time I spent in a gym watching him play?


My brother coached basketball for several years.


My husband played high school basketball but I never saw him play but once. I didn't know him then. But can you imagine how many articles I read about him in the newspaper? He was a standout player here in the state of Arkansas and won the MVP for the high-school all-star game his senior year.


My husband (before I met him) also played basketball all the way through college. I never saw him play. He was attending THE state university and I was only attending a small podunk university.


I was elected Basketball Queen in high school because I loved it so and followed my team to all their games. Can you imagine how much time I spent sitting in a gym?


I was elected Basketball Queen in college for much the same reason. Can you imagine how much time I spent traveling to and from games?


My husband played AAU basketball right after we got married so I attended many games those early years of our marriage, only staying home when our sons got big enough to start school. And then it was only two years until they started playing, so there I was, in a basketball gym again. Can you imagine how much time I spent sitting in gyms, washing basketball uniforms, etc.?


That was 35 years ago and it hasn't let up.


Our oldest son has coached for many years and is head coach this year at a local high school. Can you imagine how many times I have gone to watch him coach?


Our middle son is 6'8" and got a full ride basketball scholarship to college, coaches two of his three daughters in school and AAU basketball and is coaching and assistant coaching at the same high school as my oldest son. Can you imagine how much time I spent traveling to another state to see him play for 4 years?


Our youngest son played from elementary through high school? Can you imagine?????????


Our granddaughter Kailey played all the way through high school. Imagine????


Our granddaughters Kennedy and Caroline are playing now. Imagine?????????


And our grandson, Kendall, has his first 2009-2010 game tomorrow night. His team won the state championship last year. Imagine some more???????????????


Our precious little granddaughters in Oklahoma play also but needless to say we do not get to attend their games. They are more ballet oriented, so when we go to see them perform, we attend recitals. (And it is wonderful)
So this week, is it any wonder that I am thankful for basketball and the incredible opportunities that it has afforded our family.



Photobucket

102. I am thankful for high tech scoreboards. As a child, I remember going to gyms where they kept the score on a chalkboard. No lie!



Photobucket

103. For my granddaughter, Kennedy #23, who makes some great in-bounds passes.



Photobucket

104. She is also a hoss in the rebounding department.



Photobucket

105. I am also thankful for her wise decisions in the passing game and for not losing her "cool."



Photobucket
106. And for dedicated coaches who love the game and love the girls.



Photobucket

107 For Boompa who loves to sit in a gym with me.



Photobucket

108. And for my granddaughter, Caroline, who is no slouch herself. She played in a 9th grade game the other night and she is in 7th grade. She got 8 points, 6 rebounds and 4 blocked shots.


109. Thank you God for the incredible game of basketball. It has brought our family so much fun, togetherness, jobs, scholarships etc. It may seem trivial to some but to us it has served as a lifeline for educations to take care of our families. Our hearts are incredibly grateful, Lord, for something so fun that has given us more joy than we could have ever imagined.

Thanksgiving Blessings,
Dianne

Posted in thanksgiving with the Gratitude Community at:

holy experience