Tuesday, November 3, 2009

that was then this is now

Weekend before last we went to see our son and his family who live in a neighboring state. We weren't there long but had a great time visiting with them, going to church, having lunch with an old friend, having dinner Saturday night at the best restaurant in America, going to my school's 50th anniversary celebration and reunion. I am including a couple of pictures of my old (really young) principal and me, and some teachers who taught on my hall.

Photobucket
THAT WAS THEN


This first picture is of me and my principal in 1996. We were at an awesome restaurant in Chinatown, San Francisco on a school trip with several other teachers from our school. Thad was acting silly wearing a hat I had bought in Carmel.


I was 51 at the time and he was 29--I was a very old doggie trying to learn new tricks and he was a very young principal trying to get his teachers to embrace new ideas--He was undoubtedly the best principal I ever had--changed my teaching style--I loved teaching so much more after he taught me how to meaningfully tie all of my curriculum together in a self-contained classroom. I will share that in the days to come. I just haven't gotten around to adding an "education and home-schooling" segment to my blog. Thank you, Thad, for making the remainder of my career so much more fun and enjoyable.



And here we are 13 years later. I'll let you do the math on our ages. It was so good to see him. I had not seen him in about 10 or 12 years.

Photobucket
THIS IS NOW



Photobucket



Jane, Sheila and I





Photobucket

Kim, Jane and I




Photobucket



The drinking fountains and bathrooms were located right outside my classroom door and there was this old, ugly tile wall. We spent a lot of time standing there getting drinks and going to the bathroom--several times a day. We had a n artist who was volunteering her time to spruce up the school. I BEGGED her to do something to this eyesore.




Photobucket




This is what she came up with. A park scene--trees, bench, birdhouse, fountain, ivy growing over the wall, sunflowers, dog--she made a doggie crate out of the air vent down low on the wall. She had an incredible imagination and what once had been a horrible eyesore became a wall of beauty to us. It has been there about 15 years now so it is starting to deteriorate some but I think it is still beautiful.
_________________________________________________





We got to attend church with our son's family Sunday morning and Sunday night. I am including a couple of pictures of the the granddaughters worshiping. Don't know what was wrong with my camera but none of my pictures from that night turned out well.



Photobucket



This is the kids' praise team leading in worship. They have a different team each Sunday night.




Photobucket



And this is our Noelle praising God!




Photobucket



And Ashton learning to give praise unashamedly to God--what a joy to see Him work from generation to generation.




Photobucket



Ashton is relating her memory verse to her teacher. It is amazing how quickly kids can memorize scripture.
______________________________________


We were scheduled to substitute teach, on Monday morning, our granddaughters who are home-shooled. We were going to make a "grow box" with them. They are studying botany this semester--4th grade and kindergarten--but we received the call about Jeff and had to hurry back home.



Saturday afternoon when we arrived, we headed straight to the mall and the Apple store. Because I lived there 30 years and have only been gone 5, I wondered who I would see first that I knew. We had been there no more than a minute or two when we ran into some old church friends. Janice was in my women's Bible study group and her daughter, Jessica, was in my husband's college and career Sunday school class. Janice's granddaughter, Isabella, was with them and I got several awesome pictures of her on the carousel. That will be another post.



Thanks, Chris and Dree, for a great visit. Oh, and I forgot to mention the best breakfast in America. Dree's scrambled eggs are to die for. She cooks them very, very slow--takes forever--and they are the highest, fluffiest, lightest, best eggs you have ever eaten in your life.
Photobucket



And Noelle is cooking. She got to stir the eggs before the burner was turned on.