Thursday, July 26, 2012

Do You Have An Extra 10 Minutes a Day?


About a month ago I started working with the guys at Renewal Ranch on scripture memorization.

We covered "Why Should I Memorize Scripture?" I used references from John Piper's site. You can access it here.

We have also studied "How to Memorize Scripture"--good interview with John Piper here. We have talked about developing a love for God's Word and how we do that.

It seems to me that the more we come to understand the depth of God's love for us and what His Word provides for us, the more we will love it--loving God's statutes, His Word, His commandments, His ordinances, His precepts will make memorization easier and more fun--that is my personal opinion.

We have covered a lot of ground in the last month but I stumbled upon a memory system that I want to share with you. 

It is called the Charlotte Mason Memorization System--everything about it appeals to me. For the first time in my life I really think I am going to be able to memorize scripture and retain it forever.

Always in the past when I would memorize scripture or passages of scripture, it was only a matter of time until I lost it--because I did not have an organized system of review.

There is a video on this website that really explains the system in such a clear way--concise, to the point, easy to understand--

So, if you have been wanting to memorize scripture but felt like you couldn't, I believe this might be helpful to you.



The site says that in 5 to 10 minutes a day, over the course of time, you can learn many, many scriptures and retain them.

I hope you will give it a try.

The guys and I had a great time making our index packets and writing our scriptures on 4 x 6 cards.  I was able to find them little packets (not boxes--and actually I think they are packets to organize grocry store coupons in).

Hopefully they will be more likely to sit around with that at the bunkhouse than to actually carry around an index card box.

I am really excited about the prospect of memorizing new scripture and retaining the old.

Sure hope someone will join me.