Friday, May 21, 2010

Worship His Majesty

It has taken us three weeks but we finally get to go inside at Highland Park United Methodist Church, Dallas, TX. I hope it was worth the wait.


THE BUGLES AND THE PIPES

Photobucket

The bugles and the pipes are massive and take over your senses for a few moments as well they should. Can't you just hear the organ now with all the stops pulled out, the voices of mass choirs and a congregation full of gratitude lifting up praise to the One True and Living God?


"The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang: "He is good; his love endures forever." 2 Chronicles 5:13


Photobucket

Photobucket

In the middle of all this majesty are stained glass windows that speak to us of the incredible range of colors and gems God created that will be present in heaven.

The wall was built of jasper, and the city was made of pure gold, clear as crystal. Each of the twelve foundations was a precious stone. The first was jasper, the second was sapphire, the third was agate, the fourth was emerald, the fifth was onyx, the sixth was carnelian, the seventh was chrysolite, the eighth was beryl, the ninth was topaz, the tenth was chrysoprase, the eleventh was jacinth, and the twelfth was amethyst.

Each of the twelve gates was a solid pearl. The streets of the city were made of pure gold, clear as crystal. I did not see a temple there. The Lord God All-Powerful and the Lamb were its temple. And the city did not need the sun or the moon. The glory of God was shining on it, and the Lamb was its light.


Photobucket


Photobucket


THE PODIUM

Photobucket

In the bottom right hand corner of the picture above, you can see one of the panels that are featured below. The panels encircle the altar area and shield the front pews.



THE PANELS

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



And the panels, oh my, the intricately carved and patterned wood that hauntingly captures the tone of Jesus' voice as He says:


"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,

I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me."

Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'

The King will reply, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."




THE CALLIGRAPHY

And being a calligrapher, I was struck with the incredible preciseness, the form, the gilding and illumination incorporated into each word and phrase and was reminded of this scripture:


Jesus answered, "It is written: Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4


Photobucket

Just to the top left you can get a perspective of just how large this lettering really is. Psalm 62 is inscribed all around the top of the sanctuary.

Photobucket

1 Oh, Lord be merciful unto us and bless us: and cause His face to shine upon us.

Photobucket

2 That thy way may be known upon earth, thy saving health among all nations.

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.


Photobucket


4 O let the nations be glad and sing for joy: for thou shalt judge the people righteously, and govern the nations upon earth.


Photobucket



5 Let the people praise thee, O God; let all the people praise thee.

6 Then shall the earth yield her increase; and God, even our own God, shall bless us.

7 God shall bless us; and all the ends of the earth shall fear him. Psalm 62 KJV






I long for You to be glorified, and You only, with this post.

I long to worship you in Spirit and in Truth.

I long for each reader to be blessed beyond their wildest God-given desire.

I am linking to Spiritual Sundays, a wonderful place of inspiration.