Sunday, May 16, 2010

Pressed Between the Pages Of My Mind

Photobucket

Today I came across an old, minute flower pressed between the pages of my Bible. It reminded me of another day many years ago when the storms of life were seemingly raging at every turn.

I remember strolling through my backyard--heart consumed with grief; unending tears, not splashing but softly flowing rivulets urging recollections of happier times. I tried to encourage my soul to think on good things as the Bible tells us to do but couldn't seem to tear my mind away from the negative thoughts.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things.

The end of verse 9 goes on to say "and the God of peace will be with you."

I knew as a Christian I was not supposed to be in such turmoil in my mind and heart but could not seem to find anything lovely or good to think upon. About that time, my foot grazed a tiny, delicate creation. Upon further investigation, I noticed that this minute lavender design of God had not one flaw. I was overwhelmed at that moment with the sovereignty and majesty of God. That He would take the time to design and create and place at my feet at that particular moment in time so perfect a flower, was more than my heart and soul could imagine.

For what seemed like a very long time I gazed upon the pastel translucence of God's handiwork. My soul settled down, my heart took on an attitude of gratefulness and my mind was renewed. The problems didn't change at the moment but I did. Only God and the power of His Word can make a change in us that stands the test of time.

Maybe you are not in the middle of any serious storms in your life today. However, it is always good to think on the good things in life with which God has blessed us. If you haven't yet today, won't you take a moment and reflect upon His blessings and let your heart, soul and mind be renewed by the power of God's Word?



2010-The Year of Longings
Even though He tells us to come boldly before the throne of grace in our hour of need, I long to run to Him daily, not just when the storms come. He always welcomes us, but how He must love it when we come to Him willingly while the seas are calm--just because we love and appreciate Him so.

So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive his mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most. Hebrews 4:16 NLT


A repost from the archives

Photo taken yesterday, May 16, 2010 right after a storm had passed--yes, the storm had passed.