Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Run to the Light

Photobucket

Photography is something I dearly love. I am an aspiring photographer. I don't have a lot of expensive equipment.

I have an entry-level Canon digital SLR with a couple of lenses--one that I use almost exclusively for everything (Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Lens-this is a prime lens) and a Canon Power Shot S90 which is a good little point and shoot camera.

I shoot almost always on AV setting and use a flash very rarely even in low-light situations. If you are a serious photographer, I am not your "go-to" person. However, I have learned a little along the way and want to share this one little tip for today.

Run to the light.

Yes, natural light makes all the difference in photography. Also, making use of shadow and light playing off one another is a way to give life to your photos.

Remember you can't take good pictures if you don't have your camera with you. I keep mine in a big purse or right beside me most of the time. The other morning during my devotional time (on the left end of my living room sofa), I noticed the light from the dining room window. All I had to do was pick up my P & S from the table beside me.

I love the photo above--simple but profound in ways. Since I don't have precious little children or animals around very often, I spend my time taking pictures of inanimate objects. But even those can give the feeling of being infused with tremendous life when we catch the light just right.

Take a look at the difference in these two photos I took minutes apart a couple of days ago.

Photobucket


Photobucket

The light changed and the life is gone from the second photo. It is flat--there is no dimension.

And speaking of life--I want to run to the source of all life and light today.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning.

Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of men. John 1:1-4

From the photos above, we see how the natural light shifted and changed in a matter of moments, thank God, with Jesus the Light there is no changing--just light and life and total faithfulness.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

Dianne
2010-the Year of Longings

He longs to give life and light to all our days.
I long to always run to the light that is within Him.