Tuesday, January 26, 2010

i'm expecting

Last week when I read the assignment for today's post (Experiencing God: How you have recently experienced God) I couldn't help but start looking more for his presence.

At first, I was somewhat dismayed because it seemed as though I had not really experienced Him lately.

As the week wore on, I came to notice Him in places where I might not have before. When I opened the blinds on the dining room window to welcome the early morning rays of flaxen sun, I was suddenly taken with the shadow it cast on the table and floor. But, I thought, it will be changing in a matter of moments. Immediately, a verse from James 1:17 came to mind:

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.


Photobucket

Sunday morning as my husband and I walked through the yard before heading to church, I noticed the resurrection fern surviving by clinging to the host tree. It can go for long periods with no water and then when there is a heavy dew or rain, the fern will unfurl its doille-like fronds in all their glory much the way we do when we drink of Him and experience the living water.--I had experienced His presence.

And as I listened to the morning's sermon and scripture declaring how fearfully and wonderfully we were knit together in our mother's womb, I was rubbing elbows with the fearfully and wonderful creation that God had knit together in my womb 44 years ago. From womb to elbow, yes, I experienced God right then and there with a lump in my throat and eyes that stung with unshed tears. I pondered the glorious workings of God's Holy Spirit in my own womb. How wonderful to be worshiping beside this creation of God--this son from the seed of my husband, who was seated on my right.

When I went out to shake the rugs on Monday morning, I walked out the door, looking..........expecting. Behind me was a sudden loud noise which made me think someone was there. I turned and it was only a gust of wind that whipped up some brittle leaves. I thought of the Holy Spirit and this scripture:

John 3:8
8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit."

And how ironic that on the day I was writing this post, Oswald Chambers' short devotional for the day included these wise words.

"Do not look for God to come in any particular way, but look for Him. That is the way to make room for Him. Expect Him to come, but do not expect Him only in a certain way. However much we may know God, the great lesson to learn is that at any minute He may break in. We are apt to over look this element of surprise, yet God never works in any other way. All of a sudden God meets the life - 'When it was the good pleasure of God. . .'

Keep your life so constant in its contact with God that His surprising power may break out on the right hand and on the left. Always be in a state of expectancy, and see that you leave room for God to come in as He likes."

So, thanks to Ann at Holy Experience for the suggested post for the week. As a result, I lived in a state of expectancy all week. And I was not disappointed!


holy experience