Friday, January 29, 2010

Let It Snow!

Guess you heard about the sleet and ice storm here in Arkansas.

Late this afternoon I walked through the kitchen and heard voices coming from my driveway. I was not expecting company. Practically the whole city is shut down. Going over to the window to peer out, I saw the following.

Photobucket

A single solitary little lonely soul in my driveway--NOT!


Photobucket

I don't know how many there were, but the cul-de-sac neighbors were using my driveway for a downhill sledding event.

Photobucket

I remember last summer after our yard sprinklers had been on the grass to the other side of the driveway, they did the same thing and it worked great. I couldn't believe it. But on sleet, it worked much better. We are getting a little snow right at the moment but when I took these pictures, it was all sleet. I'm not sure but I would guess that we got at least an inch of sleet.

Photobucket

That is so much better than freezing rain. Many times in Arkansas that is what we get, especially in central Arkansas. People to the south of us are without power but thank God so far we are warm and lit. (well, you know what I mean)

Photobucket

I took these pictures from inside my kitchen. I thought about going out (for a millisecond). I thought they turned out pretty good especially since it was dusky dark. I didn't use a flash but I brought up the exposure and took the shadows out on IPhoto.

One sad little note: I haven't seen snow in several years and it is snowing right now but it is very hard to see in the dark. I very seldom took breaks when I was raising three little boys but on the days it snowed, I always stopped whatever I was doing and sat and stared at it for hours. Maybe it will still be snowing a little tomorrow morning and I will get to see it.

Update: The day after writing this post I happened upon this verse from Job. I think it is from Job 37.

6 “He directs the snow to fall on the earth and tells the rain to pour down. 7 Then everyone stops working so they can watch his power.

Wow! God's Word NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Happy Sledding,

Photobucket

Photobucket