Friday, January 1, 2010

out of the mouths of babes

Shortly after we found out that our granddaughter, Caroline, has Type 1 diabetes, my husband, youngest son and his family gathered around the kitchen table to have prayer for her and her family.

Upon completion of the prayer, all except my 5 year old granddaughter, Noelle, and I, wandered out of the kitchen. I don't know how much time passed, but as I gazed out the window, I heard her say, "Mimi, you sure are quiet."--

I volunteered, "Oh, Mimi is just a little sad."

Back came a sweet, authoritative 5 year old voice, "Well, just calm down and breathe in and out very slowly. I learned that from my daddy."

I have to admit it feels a little funny (but good) to be set straight by a 5 year old.

And then I am reminded of Psalm 37 and Matthew 6. Yes, Lord, I will calm down and take great comfort in knowing that you will handle it all if I will let you.