Thursday, March 4, 2010

Surveying Secret

Photobucket

When I went out to help my husband survey our side yard this morning--preparing for fill dirt and new plantings, I realized that for me there are several key-factors in this hungering for God.

Since last Wednesday's assignment for Walk With Him Wednesday this week (hungering for God), I have been contemplating how and if and when I hunger for God.

So, for the past week I have found myself searching for books to read that would make me hungry, going through past journals looking for keys to my then-hunger, perusing the scriptures like crazy to find what whetted and abetted my spiritual appetite.

One thing I realized is this: Re-reading the journal that I posted last week made me desire to experience God more fully in my daily life, to know the hunger that precipitated the fast, and the incredible thirst and deep quenching that came as a result of it.

But looking back I think I have discovered a surveying secret for me. The more time I spend with God, the more time I want to spend with God, the more I converse with Him, the more I want to talk to Him, the more He fills up my life, the more I am dissatisfied when I let non-essential things fill up my time and energy.

I personally need to:

survey my spirit daily.

Prepare my spirit for new soil, new wineskins, new wine.

Be willing to become saturated and drunk on this new wine.

Make sure that I keep my soul spiritually refreshed by the daily intake of His Word, His water, His wine, His bread, His filling.

Matt 9:16-17

16 "No one sews a patch of unshrunk cloth on an old garment, for the patch will pull away from the garment, making the tear worse. 17 Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins . If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins , and both are preserved."
NIV

Eph 5:18-20
18 Don't drink too much wine, for many evils lie along that path; be filled instead with the Holy Spirit and controlled by him.

19 Talk with each other much about the Lord, quoting psalms and hymns and singing sacred songs, making music in your hearts to the Lord. 20 Always give thanks for everything to our God and Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
TLB