Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sea of Blessings

Photobucket

Yesterday morning while walking in a almost imperceptible but steady mist, I noticed this pampas grass holding on to every bit of the goodness it could, not wanting to let go, swallowing every last drop available to dry parched skin. It has been a long, hot, summer--now for the seasons of refreshing.

Photobucket

Don't we all love these times when we savor the moments of God's goodness and stand in awe at His showers of blessings? What can seem almost imperceptible if we are not actively looking becomes a sea of wonderment when we take a step back and look at them collectively?

Photobucket

How many of these droplets do you suppose are on each individual stem? Care to count? How many of these do you think the ocean could contain?

Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. Matthew 10:29-31


Not a hard question for God. If He knows every single hair upon my head and yours and the rest of the billions of people on earth, I think He probably could give us an accurate count of how many crystal droplets are on each stem and silken hair of the pampas grass.

Photobucket

Having trouble with your mind grasping such bounds of infinity? The Bible says that even the faith to believe this is granted by God's grace. Want to believe it but can't seem to muster the faith? Ask God in his faithfulness to grant you the faith to believe, then choose to act upon the mustard seed of faith that He gives you.

"For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God.” Eph 2:8

God's answer to Job in chapter 38 always puts me in my place when any doubts try to take possession of my thinking. I love God's response.


1 Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm. He said:

2 "Who is this that darkens my counsel
with words without knowledge?

3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

4 "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.

5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?

6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone-

7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?

8 "Who shut up the sea behind doors
when it burst forth from the womb?


and this one--


28 Does the rain have a father? Who fathers the drops of dew?


There are thirty-two other verses in this chapter giving me pause to ponder this great God of our universe.

Photobucket


2010-the Year of Longings

He longs for us to accept Him at His Word.

Lord, I long to exercise the measure of faith with which you have blessed me.