Friday, September 24, 2010

Weekend Worship at St. James' Methodist

WHO DO YOU SAY I AM?

Photobucket
Late in the afternoon the Twelve came to Him and said, "Send the crowd away so they can go to the surrounding villages and countryside and find food and lodging, because we are in a remote place here."

Photobucket

He replied, "You give them something to eat."

Photobucket

They answered, "We have only five loaves of bread and two fish — unless we go and buy food for all this crowd." (About five thousand men were there.)

Photobucket

But He said to His disciples, "Have them sit down in groups of about fifty each." The disciples did so, and everybody sat down. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, He gave thanks and broke them. Then He gave them to the disciples to set before the people. They all ate and were satisfied, and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over.

Photobucket

Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with Him, He asked them, "Who do the crowds say I am?"

Photobucket

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life."

Photobucket
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Photobucket

I imagine hearing this young one say something like this, "The crowds have been fed, Master, and these are some of the leftovers. We have been taught since birth of the coming of the Messiah. I believe you are that Messiah. You have fed my stomach, now, Father, would you feed my heart and spirit?"

Photobucket

And I imagine Jesus answering her something like this, "My child, my precious child, today I will feed you with eternal bread that will nourish your spirit forever and I will quench your thirst with living waters from wells that will never run dry." 


 This is the age old question from Jesus that each of must answer, "Who do you say that I am?"


Photobucket

2010-the Year of Longings
He longs to satisfy our hunger.
I long to be fed the Living Bread.

Portions of scripture from Luke 9-NIV.

Linking to Spiritual Sundays, an inspirational place to visit.

I have featured St. James once before but not since I started linking with Spiritual Sundays. Just thought you might enjoy this beautiful church and sculpture.