Friday, February 4, 2011

Weekend Worship at First Christian Church, Marshall, Arkansas

I can't help but wonder for whom this bell tolled.



I wonder if any of the members here now are old enough
to remember when that old bell pealed its melodies
beckoning the people to come and worship.

And if they were, I wonder what kind of clothes they wore,
what the church looked like.  Were the pews hard like the ones I sat on growing up?


Wow!  Organized in 1880--My grandfather was born in 1878.
He was two years old when this church was established.  Hard to believe!




I wonder if church shut down when there were big snows
like much of the country has had this past week or did they
come on to church since they drove horses and buggies.




I'm so glad they preserved this old bell.


Don't you know it brings back memories for many!




 The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it,
   the world, and all who live in it; 


 for he founded it on the seas
   and established it on the waters.



  Who may ascend the mountain of the Lord?
   Who may stand in his holy place? 


The one who has clean hands and a pure heart,
   who does not trust in an idol
   or swear by a false god.



 They will receive blessing from the Lord
   and vindication from God their Savior.


Such is the generation of those who seek him,
   who seek your face, God of Jacob
.




from Psalm 24