Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Before the Cock Crows





















































































































When did I fall so badly--
Did it start when my trust failed?

When He told me to come to him 
on ripples of liquid glass,



Glass that shattered and broke 
beneath my feet as I glanced down?



When did I fall so badly



Was it when He found us sleeping--

Not keeping watch as He asked?



I thought I would go to the grave with Him,



And then, just as He said, I denied Him thrice
Before the rooster crowed even once.

A lonelier, more haunting sound I've never heard
than that of the cock crowing--

Announcing the dawn of a new day.

As it brought good news to some,
Dread invaded my anguished thoughts--

How could I face the day filled with this dark knowledge?
Knowledge that I had denied, had lied, 
had cursed the One I loved so much--

The one for whom I left home, family and my life's work. 

It had come to this--

When faced with the question of knowing Jesus,
I crumpled in fear and self-love.

And I wonder..............

When Jesus, burdened with the sin of the world,
went to the garden to pray,

And returned not once, not twice,
but three times and found us sleeping . . . . 

If I had been praying
Would I have denied Him a trio of times?

While looking down at shadowy mirrored depths 
my faith had faltered,

While looking up at a heart broken 
from carrying the weight of my darkness,

My faith was quickened and I knew....

Knew that there would be another day with Him,
A day when all He had taught us 
would come true,

A day He would ask me, 
not once, not twice, but three times--

"Peter, do you love me?"

A day I would have the chance to say 
not once, not twice, but three times--

"Yes, Master, You know I do."


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


©Dianne Hogue-2008-2012, all text and photos unless otherwise noted


Would you like to share your thoughts or your heart with me?   My contact information is listed in the upper right of the sidebar.  Please feel free to email me.   I love hearing from you and cherish the friendships I have made through blogging.