Saturday, April 21, 2012

Praying Kingdom Prayers

I attended a prayer seminar last night and all day today and wow was it ever good.

 I don't know that I learned anything that I did not already know but things were said in new ways, things I believed about prayer were definitely reinforced, and my lack of fervency and intensity in my prayer life were highlighted by the Holy Spirit and I was given new hope and zeal to continue in my role as intercessor.

Aren't we all called to be intercessors?

I believe we are.

Just for today we will focus on those we love so dearly--family and close friends.

Are you tempted to pray "fix-it" prayers (as they were called today at the conference) or are you led to pray kingdom prayers.

Kingdom prayers are prayers that do not dwell on the "here and now" and praying for someone's life to be easy and free of any kind of pain or stress, but focuses on prayers that will bring forth God's eternal Kingdom.

For the record, I am not saying we shouldn't pray those "fix-it" prayers for those we love.  Actually we should seek God about how we should pray unless scripture makes it perfectly clear what is His good, pleasing and perfect will.

As with Paul, sometimes there is a "thorn in the flesh" that is there for a reason--maybe an eternal reason--maybe God in His wisdom knows something we don't know.  Imagine that!  Smile--

That is why it is good to pray scripture.  When we pray God's scripture, we KNOW we are praying God's will.

What prayers should be prayed for our children, our grandchildren, extended family and close friends?

So one of my quests when I read the Bible each day is to explore and discover powerful scripture to pray over those I love.

Some years ago, I bought and read an extensive workbook by Sylvia Gunter entitled Prayer Portions.

That workbook, a book entitled Prayers that Avail Much and the book Experiencing the Depths of Jesus Christ by Jeanne Guyon transformed my prayer life from selfish, fix-it now prayers to praying scripture for family and friends and ultimately the nation and our world.

I learned how to pray but my zeal fizzled as time went by.

It didn't have to.  I was drawn away by my own lusts.

Loving "sleeping in" a little bit longer after I retired, loving check Facebook and Email and Pinterest before I read and studied God's Word.  It hurts to discover how lax we've been and to admit it.

Oh yes, I still pray but not with the fervency and zeal I once did.  So, for me that was the highlight of the conference and I am excited about getting my prayer life back where it should be.

Those of you who've read my blog for any length of time know that I have been lamenting my time alone with God, knowing it was not the quality or quantity that I have experienced in the past.

I want my blog to become more prayer focused so there will be many days when you may only read a prayer.  Come visit and pray with me if the Lord is leading you in that direction.

Corporate prayer was huge in the Bible so I invite you to pray kingdom prayers with me--prayers taken from scripture--God responds to His Word because His Word is His will for us.

I think I will open comments one day a week for you to share a prayer taken from scripture.  Then we can all pray it over our loved ones.  I am still thinking about that.  If that would interest you, would you please email me?  If it wouldn't and I don't get any emails, then I will just give it a rest.

So dear readers this is my prayer for you today:

 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,  because we have heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and of the love you have for all God’s people—  the faith and love that spring from the hope stored up for you in heaven and about which you have already heard in the true message of the gospel that has come to you. In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.  from Col 1 
 
I pray that all of you will have a genuine love for all of God's people--I pray for your faith and love --that more and more hope will be stored up for you in heaven.  I pray that you will bear much fruit and that you will have a supernatural understanding of God's grace.
I have no doubt that I have prayed God's perfect will for you.  Isn't that awesome--yes even fun.

Have a wonderful Sabbath dear friends.

Love,
Dianne

Would you like to share your thoughts or your heart with me?
My contact information is listed in the upper right of the sidebar.
Please feel free to email me.
I love hearing from you and cherish the friendships I have made through blogging.

© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted