Monday, February 22, 2010

23rd for the 23rd

Photobucket
My mom got on a plane once in her lifetime and flew to Israel.

While she was gone, I agreed to take care of my grandfather, her father-in-law whom she was caring for at the time. He was in his nineties. While he was in my care, I wanted to be able to just sit and talk to him, spend lots of quality time but also feel as if I had really accomplished something tangible.

It was during those precious days of talking, sharing, reliving, that I stitched Psalm 23. I didn't know it meant anything to anyone but me so you can imagine my delight when at Christmas this year my 40 year old son asked if I would leave it to him.

Every month on the 23rd I read this Psalm so won't you join me today--take a moment and see if you can find anything in the Psalm you've never noticed before, or ask God to reveal something new to you through this classic?

A few years back my Bible study teacher gave us this assignment: Read the 23rd Psalm five times a day for set period (I think it was five days). I'll admit I was disappointed upon first hearing this assignment since I had read it so many times in my lifetime, and in my innocent haughtiness (if there is such a thing) didn't think there was anything else left for me to learn through it. I could not believe the incredible dividends it paid when I followed through.

Photobucket

The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures. He leadeth me beside still waters. He restoreth my soul.

Photobucket

He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me: thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.


Photobucket

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Photobucket

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Amen



I long to know You more through scripture.

See sweet Maria's vintage cross-stitched linens here.