Friday, March 11, 2011

Lessons From a Robin

I love to learn and have spiritual lessons reinforced by a Word from God. I feel like this has happened to me this week through the actions of a robin.

As you may know, I have a prayer segment to this blog and really it has become my most serious focus. I have always prayed for my children, my seed, and many times written my prayers or recorded scriptures that I am claiming for them.

However, the enemy has a way of bringing doubts to our minds if what we are doing is right, biblical or really needed. From time to time, I second guess myself about my daily prayers for my children with thoughts such as "Well, if you trusted God like you should, you wouldn't always be praying for them. You would pray a prayer and keep believing that it would be answered."

I keep going back to this:

You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

"Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. Matt. 7:7 NLT


On Monday of this week, I noticed there was a robin preparing to build a nest in a small tree right outside our kitchen window. She or he (don't know if it is the dad or mom) was looking for the perfect place--the tree is perfect--really thick leaves at the top and branches that cascade downward--lots of protection from weather and also camouflaged from danger.



The robin saw the glass of the kitchen window and I guess thought there was another bird close by who might present trouble. It has come back every day since Monday, five days in a row, hundreds of times during the day, pecked on that window and tried to fight the bird it sees. It has not given up on protecting its seed.

The very first day it came, after an hour or so of it coming back again and again to fight this "other" bird, I started to get the message from God.



In my spirit I felt that God was saying to me, "Yes, I want you to knock, I want you to seek, I want you to care about your seed and their spiritual legacy so much that you will come back to me, day after day, hour after hour. If the robin is this faithful to protect her seed, how much more have I given you the love and capacity to care for yours?"

Oh God, thank you for sending this robin to teach me about faithfulness. Help me always to be faithful to the greatest privilege and responsibility I have for the care of my children, my grandchildren, my seed, Prayer--