Thursday, December 19, 2013

Let Your Heart Be Light









Time is marching on and Christmas is almost here. I can't believe it's been nine days since I have posted. I am so sorry. I had such awesome plans at the start of December for all the wonderful things I was going to post. Things about Jesus--after all, He is what this season is all about, right?

There are so many loose ends I need to tie up and it seems that every Christmas I am never as organized as I want to be--I want to have things DONE so I can just sit back and relax and take in the sights, sounds, smells, joys of the season.

I think I've done a little better this year as far as not stressing out about not getting everything done that I want to get done but I still find myself more anxious than I want to be at times.

I try to keep reminding myself that this is about love, togetherness, and celebration.

Not about things or glitter or presents.

However, I did get my husband the best Christmas gift I've ever given him. (Well, maybe the second best)  I am so excited for him to see it and to tell you the story behind it--it's not about the cost of the gift, it's about the thought behind it.  I think he is going to love it and I think he might cry.

I only made him cry one other time in all our years of marriage.

His mom had an old "seed" box--yes, years ago when you ordered seeds for planting in the spring--they were sent to you in beautiful wooden boxes.  She had had this old box for 30 years most likely.  It was dilapidated and falling apart at the seams.

We usually don't spend very much money on each other at Christmas but I did splurge a little by taking it to an antique furniture refinisher.  The box turned out so gorgeous.  I had the kids and grandchildren write him letters and filled the old box with their letters of love.

If I remember correctly it was the first Christmas after his mom had died--between the sentimentality of the box and the letters from his descendants, he pretty much dissolved.  I love gifts like that.

So I say all of that just to say something--just to converse with you--just to let you know I am thinking about you, loving you, praying for you wherever you are.

I know that Christmas can be such a hard time for so many--my sister lost a son two years ago and Christmas with all of its joys can still be very hard for her.  There is a big vacuum in a room that is not filled with his presence.

I pray that Jesus' presence is what we focus on and that knowing He is here for us always will drive away all doubt, fear, unhappiness and sadness and all that remains will be seeds of joy that will spread the gospel of the greatest gift to ever be given.  And it was given to all.

I pray your heart is light this Christmas!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S.  The above pictures are the dough box my brother-in-law made me--Got the table all ready now all I need is my family!

© ALL ART, PHOTOGRAPHS AND TEXT PROPERTY OF ELIZABETH DIANNE UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED