Friday, May 25, 2012

I Saw the Light

This morning as I was reading in John 9, there was a passage that especially stood out to me.






As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

   “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”
   After saying this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man’s eyes.  “Go,” he told him, “wash in the Pool of Siloam” (this word means “Sent”). So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.


A study of the gospels and Jesus' Words in particular point to the fact that every recorded word He spoke was meaningful, important and powerful.

Take, for instance, when right before healing the man born blind from birth, Jesus uses the contrast of 'night and day.'  He goes on to say that He Himself is the Light of the world.

A man born blind from birth would have no idea of the difference between night and day or any connotation of light--but Jesus, talking to the Pharisees, uses this anyway.

Imagine the moments right after the blind man sees for the first time in his life.
Imagine what his thoughts were--

Maybe something like:

"I now know I have been in darkness my whole life,
I now know what darkness is.

I now know what the day looks like,
I never could have dreamed of its brightness.

I now know what the Light of the World looks like.
I now personally know Light."

Jesus used the analogy that would make the most sense to this blind man.
The Pharisees couldn't begin to see what he saw.

What do you see today?  Is it light or is it night?


   Blessings and love, 



 Would you like to share your thoughts or your heart with me? My contact information is listed in the upper right of the sidebar. Please feel free to email me. I love hearing from you and cherish the friendships I have made through blogging. 

© all photographs and text property of Dianne Hogue unless otherwise noted