Monday, December 14, 2009

christmas traditions

ONE OF OUR TRADITIONS

Photobucket

When I was very young, some dear, dear family friends gave my parents the word
N-O-E-L in separate letters. If we had had a fireplace, the letters spelling "NOEL" would have set on the mantle but since we didn't, they set on a table or buffet in the living room.

Every time my dad came through the living room (when no one was looking) he would change the word "Noel" to "Leon" or "Lone." When we would come through we would change it back. My parents are deceased but this tradition continues throughout my family even in other states. It is always done when no one is looking or when no one is paying attention. This takes some real maneuvering sometimes.

When we moved back to Arkansas several years ago after being gone for 30 years, THE ORIGINAL NOEL got broken. In the process, it almost broke my heart. However, that is why we have Hobby Lobby and other craft stores. They usually always have some during the holidays. I made sure that I had a new one and my children who did not have one were also given a set in their stocking.

My youngest son and his wife named one of their daughters "Noelle" and while she was still in the womb, she was referred to as "Little Leon" by the other brothers. We have had such a good time over the years with this seemingly small but fun tradition. I hope it never dies.

Well, it happned again today. See my beautiful NOEL above. When I walked back in the house after telling my son and his family goodbye, this is what I found. I DON'T KNOW WHEN HE DID IT! CAUSE IT WASN'T LIKE THAT 5 MINUTES BEFORE! Anyway, it made my day and I had a smile on my face for the rest of the day. (That happened when they were here for Thanksgiving. I had just decorated the mantle.)

Photobucket


NON-TRADITION

A few years ago my husband surprised the family when he brought out a basin of water and towel and proceeded to wash my feet and the feet of our three sons. It was his request that each son would wash his wife's feet, which of course they did. While the grandchildren were playing in another room, the eight adults had a Bible study and foot washing on Christmas Day. The Bible study was not unusual but the foot washing was.

We are not some super-spiritual or holier-than-thou family. We are a normal Christian family with problems like everyone else, but try to live our lives dedicated to the Lord Jesus Christ.

This selfless act touched my heart deeply--that my husband came up with this idea of humbling himself in the manner of Jesus was a wondrous gift to me, my sons and our daughters-in-law. That is one gift I will never forget.




If you would like to share a tradition or a non-tradition, please post the direct URL to your exact post in McLinky, leave a comment, or send me an email. Thank you so much for participating.