Friday, April 9, 2010

Weekend Worship With the Children

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


The other day as I was driving in to town, I noticed a sweet little white church that I hadn't seen before or at least I didn't remember seeing it--at my age, that is happening more and more frequently.

I decided to drive back out there today and take some pictures for a Weekend Worship feature in the near future. On the way, I passed a church that I have driven by myriads of times but never stopped at. I pulled in the drive that led around to the back of the church.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I came upon this sweet little "play church." For you see, "playing church" is more than a fantasy to me.

A year or so after my mom was born again, we were over at one of her good friend's home. This woman was a lovely and wise mentor for my "new Christian" mother. While they prayed and studied the Bible together, her two children (June and James)and I decided to "play church."

June was nine, had become a Christian recently herself and could also play the piano very well. We sang for a while and then James and I were the congregation while June gave a message. At the end of the message, she gave an altar call (an altar call is an invitation to receive Christ in case you are not familiar with that term) and James and I both went forward to receive Christ. June tiptoed out while we were kneeling praying, got our moms, and we had a glorious time of prayer together.

So this little 10' by 15' structure brought back many memories for me today. And I believe God is pleased with the idea and the effort to give the precious children of Winfield United Methodist church a place to "play church and worship."


Matthew 18

18:1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Matt 19

13 Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them.

Matt 19

14 Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." 15 When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

Matt 21

16 "Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him.
"Yes," replied Jesus, "have you never read,
"'From the lips of children and infants
you have ordained praise'
?"

Mark 9

36 He took a little child and had him stand among them. Taking him in his arms, he said to them, 37 "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."

Mark 10
He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16 And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.





I long to become like a child and trust Him totally and completely with a simple, childlike faith.