Thursday, October 8, 2009

embracing the shadows

nava,trees



This is a digitally-fiddled with picture I took a few years ago. Actually, I just changed it with the watercolor effects in a photo-editing program. But over all, a pretty good picture--I am definitely not an expert at this but I like the composition--the light in the foreground brings you into the picture, the frontal tree takes your eye out of the picture at the top but then the light on the left brings you back in and I really like the way the diminishing of the three different sets of trees brings you all the way back to the farthest background. So, yes, over all a very nice picture. Now, look at the same picture below. It is the exact same picture but I altered it digitally by taking the shadows out.



nava,trees,shadowless




Yesterday after writing the post about my friends and Charles Spurgeon, I just had to read his morning devotional. One of the statements he made was this:


"Present afflictions tend also to heighten future joy. There must be shades in the picture to bring out the beauty of the lights. Could we be so supremely blessed in heaven, if we had not known the curse of sin and the sorrow of earth? Will not peace be sweeter after conflict, and rest more welcome after toil?"





The picture with no shadows is not very attractive, is it? Not much of interest happening here. Not much to keep you involved, is there? Or maybe you like it better with all light and no shadows but I prefer the top one--the one with the shadows. Maybe I will even embrace the shadows.