Thursday, September 25, 2008

THE CRAVING PLACE!



In David Wilkerson's book GOD'S PLAN (to protect His people) IN THE COMING DEPRESSION (c. 1998) he spoke of "his craving place."

The book had nothing about prohibiting reproduction so I am including a page from it.



Some years ago, a craving such as David describes started growing in my heart. I set the alarm a little earlier so that I could have this time of communion with the Lord every day. My craving time for many years when I lived in Oklahoma was the right end of my living room sofa. Where I live now, it is the left end of my living room sofa.
My time consists of this:
I read (meditatively and prayerfully) 5 chapters from Psalms most days.

On the first day of the month I read Psalm 1, Psalm 31, 61, 91, and 121. On the 2nd day of the month I read Ps. 2, 32, 62, 92, and 122. I add 30 to the number each time. By the end of the month I have read all the way through the book of Psalms.

I also read 1 chapter from Proverbs--the day of the month coordinates with the chapter I read.

Many times I read something from Isaiah because of its many promises to me.

I like to read something in red--Jesus' words--and I like to read something from the epistles.

I pray for my children, grandchildren and extended family and for prayer requests from friends and things God lays on my heart. Sometimes I sit and just enjoy the presence of the Lord. I always pray for protection for my family but my main prayer for all of us is that we would be drawn closer to Jesus each day. However, the Lord chooses to answer this, I trust Him. And there have been some hard knocks along the way. Some we have brought on ourselves, some, I am sure, the Lord allowed to help us look to Him for sustenance, growth, and strength.

This has become my lifeline. Whenever I lose my craving to do this, I know for me that something is wrong and I start asking God to put the craving back in me.

If I don't crave for God as the "deer pants for water" then I am concerned that my priorities are out of whack. This is for me, my own personal experience--I am not judging anyone who doesn't do this. I just want to take the opportunity to encourage you in this quest, if this is something your heart desires.
UPDATE: Just a few days ago, I started reading the Bible through. I have never read the Bible through before. I am on Genesis 10 and am doing a 3-year plan. Also, I read where it is a good idea to read each epistle through about 20 times before proceeding to the next so I am on my second reading of Philippians.

I know that it is our hearts that God wants and if I spend all of this time in God's Word and He doesn't have my heart, then it is all in vain. So my prayer is that I would let God speak to me daily through His Word and the fruit of His Spirit would be evident in my life.