Monday, October 4, 2010

Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art

 A few days ago I posted a picture of a flower and some deer and told you that I saw them on an afternoon walk to somewhere. I didn't tell you where because it deserved a whole post of its own.

The afternoon walk took my friend and me to the construction site of the Crystal Bridges Museum in Bentonville, AR. It is my understanding that the genius behind this incredible undertaking was Alice Walton, the wife of Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart.

I have provided a link to their website so you can read about it if interested.  If you do nothing more than look at the rendering, it will be worth the click.   It will house a large collection of the most renowned American art.   It will also cooperate with various other museums to have traveling exhibits that will provide unsurpassed opportunities for the folks in this area. To say I am excited about this endeavor is an understatement.



Photobucket


Beautiful, natural rock line the walkways on the path to the museum.

Photobucket


The landscaping alone will be worth the trip.  They are still in the early phases of what the total landscape package will entail.



Photobucket

Photobucket

I don't have much of a zoom on my camera so you can tell that the deer were very close.  They did not run away until we were within about 40 or 50 feet.


Photobucket

On the building to the right you can see that decking is being laid for the roofing.  Those tiny specks are men.  You can see them much better in the picture below.  This place is massive!


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


At the present time there is an observation deck where you can watch the construction and read about what is happening and what is to come.  This deck will be torn down when the buildings are completed and the natural setting restored to its original beauty.


Photobucket


Photobucket

This crane is about fourteen stories high.

Photobucket

And on the walk back, the deer did not disappoint us.


Photobucket
2010-the Year of Longings

My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long. Psalm 35:28