Monday, October 11, 2010

Facebook Friend

I noticed tonight that my friend and colleague, Nancy Christy (from a few years ago) commented on my Facebook status. She was concerned about our water leak under the slab. Yes, in case you didn't know, we found out today that we have a water leak under the slab. I need to be on the show that Nancy was on. Except I would embarrass myself I'm sure! Vanity--a whole NOTHER topic.

Thought you might enjoy seeing a little clip from "Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?" I think this was from 2003.

I taught with Nancy from 1999 to 2004 and the first two years our rooms were right across the hall from one another and we taught the same students. She, I, and two other teachers were the "core curriculum" teachers for half of the 8th graders in our school, which was one hundred students. I taught American History, she taught English.

Nancy kept coming to school and telling us that she had applied to be on the show. She just kept trying and trying and trying. I knew she knew a lot about a lot of different subjects and thought that she would do well if she ever got on the show.




When Nancy got back to school shortly after this whirlwind trip to New York City, of course we were all wanting to know how she had done. Each contestant has to keep their winnings a secret or they can be disqualified. The show is aired quite a few months after the actual time of taping and they don't want to ruin the suspense of the show.

When I stopped to talk to Nancy and asked her how she had done, she replied, "Well, I didn't embarrass myself." I knew but I didn't know. It was all in the facial expressions and the way she carried herself. Although she was always a confident and self-assured person, there was just something about her demeanor, her manner--I knew in my heart of hearts that she was a millionaire, although Nancy will be quick to tell you that by the time Uncle Sam gets his, you are some distance from being a true millionaire.

You know, as Christians, we are the richest people in the world. Does our countenance, our demeanor, our manner radiate the aroma of Christ and richness and splendor? Do we truly realize how blessed we are? Once Christ becomes our Savior, our Lord, we always have access to all that He has and all that He is. However, we should want to share our inheritance with the world.  When we share, our riches grow and so do those of the world.

Today, Lord, may our prayers, our lives, each breath that we take bestow riches and blessing on a world that is hungry for you.

I know Nancy would agree with me when I quote the old saying that goes like this:

The person who has God and everything else has nothing more than the person who has God alone.

Do we really believe that?  May that truth become a reality in our lives today.

I love you all.  I am so much the richer for having met you, yes YOU!

Dianne
2010-the Year of Longing
He longs to make us all rich in Him.
I long to be satisfied with His riches alone.



Photobucket