Monday, July 12, 2010

straight path

Photobucket

While driving out to my sister's a few days ago, I noticed this field and it reminded me of my grandfather, John Deere. Yes, that was his name and if you would have known him as I did, the name would not seem strange at all. Because, yes, he farmed, only he didn't drive a tractor. He drove teams of mules.

And he was strong and loud. I can still remember hearing his deep, forceful voice with commands of gee and haw when he came to the end of a row. Gee meant to turn right and haw was to the left. His mules knew who was boss, who knew best and for the most part never tried to go a different way than he directed. The few times they did, he quickly pulled them back to his desired destination for them.

It was a good thing for me that I went behind him in the fields as he turned over potatoes. My aunt (who was my age) and I got a workout trying to pick up all that his plow would uncover. First of all, I learned the meaning of hard work even as a young child. Secondly, I learned what it meant to be brought back in to line when you went a direction the boss did not want you to go. It was easier on the mule when he obeyed, definitely. The touch to the bridle and bit was more gentle.

So as a young Christian when I came upon this verse, it was not hard to understand.

9 Do not be like the horse or the mule,
which have no understanding
but must be controlled by bit and bridle
or they will not come to you.


Why would I want to control my own destiny anyway when other verses from that same psalm (32) state these promises from God?


7 You are my hiding place;
you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Selah

8 I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you and watch over you.

10 Many are the woes of the wicked,
but the LORD's unfailing love
surrounds the man who trusts in him.

11 Rejoice in the LORD and be glad, you righteous;
sing, all you who are upright in heart!


I am only righteous and upright because of Jesus--when I let Him take the plow and direct the gees and haws of my life.

He promises that He will be my hiding place when trouble comes, not that trouble will never come, but He will protect me from it and surround me with songs of deliverance.

What comfort to know that He will teach me and instruct me in the way I should go. He will counsel me and watch over me.

And not only that but He also promises me that He will discipline me when I get out of line.

My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves,
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. (from Hebrews 12-NIV)


I love that--knowing and trusting that when I do mess up, He considers me His child and will take the necessary steps to get me back in line. The more compliant I am with His leadership, then only the slightest movement to the bridle or bit and I will follow once again in His path. And if I am obedient enough, He can even remove it and I will still follow in His footsteps.

May all your gees and haws today be congruous with the Master's commands.





I long to turn when You turn, to wait when You wait, to go wherever Your Spirit is moving.