Thursday, July 1, 2010

the pain i feel now

Photobucket

Please follow this link for Randall's explanation of this painting. You will NOT be disappointed.

In the movie, Shadowlands, when C.S. Lewis and his wife take a small vacation to the countryside after learning of her illness, these words were spoken,

"The pain I feel now is the happiness I had before. That's the deal."

In other words had they not loved so deeply and intensely before, they would not be experiencing the almost unbearable pain at the present. That is one of my favorite lines from the movie because I have found it to be so true in my own life. My own deep depths of most unbearable pain came as a result of deep, indescribable love shared with another human being.

As you can see from my blog header, I am an admirer of C.S. Lewis and his words. I haven't read every book of his and probably won't but I love his one-liners and quotes and identify so much with them.

And how about this one?

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket- safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable.”

Wow! He wrote a whole book in one paragraph.

As you all know, I was in Santa Fe last week studying with Randall Hasson. I sat right beside an original painting done by Randall depicting the life of C.S. Lewis. It was quite the inspiration to be in such close proximity to this person of great intellectual prowess who had come to realize his total dependence upon the God of the universe.

So today's post is in memory and honor of C.S. Lewis and to showcase the incredible artistic talent of Randall Hasson.