Monday, July 5, 2010

flags, fans, foods and flavors

Photobucket

I'm really not a baptist preacher but I kinda feel like one with the title of this post--you know the three-point sermon with the alliterative points. Only mine has four! And I didn't even need to go to seminary to learn how. Please, don't be offended if you are baptist or a baptist preacher--my husband is baptist. In fact, the church we attend is baptist but I haven't really figured out what denomination I most agree with. Maybe my husband won't read this post else I get the distinct sense of a knock-down, drag-out serious discussion in the near future.

Photobucket

Okay--a hint--if you're ever down this way (RiverMarket/Little Rock) drive to North Little Rock and park and take the trolley across the river, eat and shop to your heart's content and then take the shuttle back to your car, thereby missing all the traffic, all the waiting and you've really outsmarted just about everyone.

Photobucket

Be sure and pick up some purple hull peas before you leave. They even have them shelled for you nowadays. "Nowadays"--that is such an old fogey sounding word but I love it and besides that, what else would I say right there?????

Photobucket

And the samples of watermelon--oh me, they are to die for!

Photobucket

Take your hubby and your friends with you so you will have enough hands to carry all your produce home.

Photobucket

There was entertainment--I think this guy is from Jamaica -- I loved his accent...........


Photobucket


lots of "patient" hubbies standing around waiting on their lovely brides...........


Photobucket

We saw lots of flags and fans--

Photobucket

Like I said.........lots of flags.........and fans.........


Photobucket

large ones--notice the BIG fan to his left...........


Photobucket

This security guard was so cute. I wish the picture had turned out clearer. I told him I was going to put a picture of him on my blog but I wouldn't put his name or his history. Without batting an eyelash, he said with a laugh, "Oh good, cause that might get me hurt."--more flags! And please just ignore the m-lite sign. I posted this picture in spite of it-ahem!!

Photobucket

If you stay til closing time, hey, some vendors even cut their prices in half. That is what happened to me with some home-grown tomatoes, the regular ones for slicing, Romas, and green ones to slice and fry.


Photobucket

Speaking of closing time, I'm sorry to say that my husband and I weren't smart enough to figure out the trolley ride I mentioned above. We did run into a couple who had done that very thing and that's where I got the "bright" idea. But you know, some people (in little white cars--no offense anyone) can manage to mess up everybody--see the trolley setting here (sitting here, setting here--what do trolleys do?) well, about three cars in front of where we were parked, a person managed to park their car far enough out from the curb so that they were in the trolley tracks--

So guess what--we waited and waited and the trolley that takes those people back across the river waited also. In fact, we were finally able to go around it in the wrong lane much to my consternation and dismay. There is no telling how long those poor people on the trolley had to wait for the tow truck to come get that car out of the way. So much for "bright ideas to outsmart the traffic and the waiting."






Oh and Honey if you happen to read this post, I love the baptist church, seriously I do and thank you so much for power-washing the deck today. You are an absolute angel. I am so sorry I didn't get a picture of you doing that but well, you had to go and take your shirt off and I didn't want all my friends to get envious--Just trying to keep the peace, you know.