Friday, July 17, 2009

I really struggled with whether to entitle this post "And George made millions off of Gracie" or "I am married to Walter Matthau!"

My mother was nobody's fool but sometimes she could do and say some really "ditzy" things. My dad used to just shake his head and say, "And George made millions off of Gracie." Those shenanigans will take several posts so that will come at a later date. However, I am beginning to see how I might could turn this spouse reversal syndrome thing into some real revenue--something like the Dianne Burns and Larry Allen show or something like that.

Take a few nights ago--I was doing the "Goldilocks" thingie and sleeping in the front bedroom (oh, it's a long story--creaky old joints and a master bedroom bed that is too hard for them). Anyhow, in the middle of the night I hear the loudest crack, boom and pop of thunder that I have ever heard in my life--I kid you not--and it was accompanied by the brightest lightning you have ever seen--they were simultaneous so you know what that means.

To be honest with you, I thought our house had been struck. I jumped out of bed as if I didn't even have creaky old bones and hit the light switch. The electricity was out. I listened to see if I could hear my husband getting up in the other bedroom. I heard not one sound. I stealthily made my way down the hall past two other bedrooms thinking all the while--"he is dead--either my husband has died in his sleep or the lightning got him." My heart was in my throat.

When I got to the master bedroom, it was dark and once again everything was quiet on the western front. I yelled at him (not real loud--just a soft yell) cause I wanted to know if he was dead or alive before I walked over to wake him up. He mumbled something under his breath and I said, "Did you hear that thunder and see the lightning? It was the loudest I have ever heard in my life?"

His grumpy old man reply--"It must not have been very loud--it didn't wake me up."

What could I say to that? He just didn't get it.